Byakuya Togami x Fiancée!Reader - Begrudging Public Affection

A/N: Whaaaat? (ʸᵒᵘ'ᵛᵉ ⁿᵉᵛᵉʳ ᵖˡᵃʸᵉᵈ ᵀᵘᵇᵉʳ⁻⁻)

A 3AM upload?? That's not sex?? INCONCEIVABLE!

Nah, all jokes aside, this plot bit my ass so hard I was still thinking about it when the fam went to bed, so here we go, another Togami one! (And much, much lighter this time!)

--

You twirled the ring around your finger nervously, eyes darting from person to person in the library.

When you'd gotten the news that you would be attending Hope's Peak Academy as their Ultimate Matchmaker, you hadn't realized at first that he would be here.

Very briefly did your (e/c) eyes wander toward narrowed ice-blue ones, but you looked quickly away when he caught you staring.

Byakuya Togami, your fiancé, was a strange man on a good day.

When the two of you were in public, he acted as if he'd never met you once in his life. But when the two of you were in private, you alone knew he could be the most loving man you'd ever met.

As the 'Ultimate Matchmaker', his behavior was enough to stump you when it came to the question on how you came to be engaged.

If it hadn't been you, you would have been hard-pressed to find him a suitable match. Hell, even though it is you, you would still be tempted to declare it a match made in the deepest bowels of Hades itself. The two of you weren't compatible in any way. Oh sure, they say opposites attract, but if you didn't know him at all, you'd be convinced you could never have a loving marriage with someone like him. You were still puzzled on just how exactly he'd managed to romance you while still being a human iceberg.

But you still liked to be within proximity, and thus you found yourself sitting in a comfy armchair in the reading area of the school's library, with Byakuya within seeing distance. Just to be less conspicuous, you'd picked out a couple of romance novels to read -- both for fun and to sharpen your skills a bit -- while you waited.

Your ears then picked up the sound of someone walking towards you. You glanced up and saw one of the underclassmen, a first-year, coming towards you with a smile and a pink face.

"Hey, uh, (l/n)-senpai of class 2-A, right? Ultimate Matchmaker?" He asked, tucking a loose strand of hair behind his ear.

"Yes, that's me," you clarified with a small smile. You shut the book and sat up straighter, crossing your ankles. "What can I do for you?"

"I, well, I've been admiring you for a while, and I was wondering if," he stumbled over his words, hesitating and biting his lower lip before continuing, "if you'd like to go for ice cream sometime? I know a great place in Tokyo."

"O-- oh, um," your face promptly got redder, both flattered and very, very embarrassed for this poor boy. "Well, you see, uh--"

"Oh, I'm sorry!" He suddenly seemed to remember something, smacking himself on the forehead briefly before holding out his hand. "I'm Yamaguchi of class 1-A, Ultimate Figure Skater. Sorry for interrupting, go on."

"It's very nice to meet you, Yamaguchi-san, but, well," you sighed lightly, trying to word it as carefully as possible. "The thing is, I'm actually--"

"She's already spoken for, so I'm afraid you'll have to take your pathetic attempts of romance elsewhere," the condescending voice of Byakuya suddenly interrupted you two.

Yamaguchi turned and his face burned scarlet at the sight. "O-- oh! Togami-sama, forgive me, I-- I-- I didn't know--"

"I'm certain you've at the very least seen the ring before," your hotheaded fiancé snapped back, holding up your left hand. Your silver engagement ring sparkled in the light. "Now if you wish to avoid repercussions, I'd suggest you find another woman more within your league."

You heaved a mental sigh. Aaaaand there it is. As much as you loved him, you had to admit he could be rather brash when he wanted to be.

Still stuttering apologies, the poor first-year backed away before quickly speedwalking out of the library.

Byakuya was still next to you, holding your hand in his.

"You know your stalker is going to have a field day now that she's seen us together like this," you murmured, still heavily embarrassed. If you looked, you could only just barely see one of her messy braids peeking out from behind a nearby bookcase.

"Let her throw tantrums, I don't care." He scoffed. "I won't allow other men to feel entitled to whomever is mine."

The faintest of smiles graced your face when Byakuya's thumb absentmindedly caressed your knuckles. "Technically speaking, I'm not totally yours yet," you teased.

He almost looked affronted, but at the very last second, he chuckled, and damn if it didn't make your heart skip a beat. "True, true, but you were the one who said yes to the proposal. As long as you have my family crest, you are mine."

To a lesser person, it would've seemed hella creepy out of context. But while you were in public, you had to admit it was probably going to be the most romantic thing he'd treat you to besides outright threatening to duel a rivalling boy.

"Awww, babe," you crooned, resting your head against his arm. "You really do care about me."

"Yes, well, I suppose I must," he hummed, though the twinkle in his eye clued you into his joke. "Would you care for some... much more refined company? For now, at least, I have to review my notes for next class, and your incessant staring has grown tiresome."

"I'd love to sit with you, 'Kuya," you replied, beaming as he led you over to the couch he'd been sitting on. He didn't even seem to notice, or else he didn't care, about the fact that he was still gently holding your hand.

--

A/N: Romantic, awkward yet cute Togami is my jam, y'all can sue me.

Please tell me what you thought, feel free to request, and I'll see you guys later (hopefully while making better life choices)!