Hinata Hajime x Reader - Hello

A/N: I'm terribly sorry for the hiatus! From now on, I'll be able to update during the weekends, so please expect at least something! Please note: This oneshot deals with death, so if you get triggered easily, then maybe this story isn't for you.

If you insist on reading, please enjoy!

-

"Hello? It's me..."

The words died on his lips, his next sentence forgotten.

Six years since they'd graduated from high school. One year since he'd graduated from college with a major in law.

And he had yet to see you.

Five years since...since he broke your heart.

"I'm sorry, but I like someone else." His own words echoed endlessly in his head like a broken record.

He remembered clearly your heartbroken expression, your half-witted smile and your "It's okay, I understand."

He didn't remember much after graduation. He never saw you anywhere on campus after the festivities were over, and he'd only found out later from one of your friends that you'd left immediately after getting that diploma. You hadn't even packed anything from your dorm room.

He brushed it aside as you getting eager to begin summer, since you could finally go home to your parents on the outskirts of Tokyo.

He got accepted to a prestigious college that year, because of his exceptional GPA, and after five long years of work, he graduated as the valedictorian.

For the first time, he felt...important. He felt excited to begin his life, since businesses and corporations generally hired more from high-rank colleges such as this.

And for that first year after college, everything was perfect. He got a good starting job, and was trying to work his way up to being a lawyer full-time.

But every time he looked at that photo and saw your smiling face, he remembered.

He tried countless times to get ahold of you, sending you emails, calling you, leaving voicemails...He tried to track down your address, but your family had apparently moved to somewhere else in the country not long after that first year of college.

Then one day, he ran into an old friend.

-

"Ah, Hinata! It's been a while, hasn't it?" Nagito chirped cheerfully as he sipped his tea.

"Indeed, it has. How has the rest of the class been?" Hajime nodded. "Have you kept in touch?"

"Mm, a little here and there." Nagito waved it off. "Nekomaru and Owari are getting married in a few months, and Nanami asked me to ask you to come if I ever ran into you."

"Is that so?" Hajime hummed in thought. "I'll have to check the calendar if I have any free days."

"And Fuyuhiko finally became the boss of his own little yakuza branch," Nagito continued. "Of course, Pekoyama is his right-hand-woman."

"Figures. They always were close, I remember."

"Hmmmm...what else... Oh, Hanamura became head chef at his own restaurant." The whitenette snapped his fingers. "If you ever come across a restaurant called 'The Dancing Dragon', give it a try for me. I promise, it's worth it."

"Looks like you've kept pretty good tabs on your old classmates." Hajime finished his own tea and leaned forward. "But...have you heard anything of (y/n)? I've been trying to get ahold of her for months."

Nagito grew very quiet.

Silence permeated the air between them for a minute or two, before the whitenette finally put down his teacup.

He stared at Hajime with a sad expression.

"Didn't anyone tell you...? (y/n) died five years ago."