Ryoma Hoshi x Reader - Hard Sweet Candy

REQUESTED BY: yasminpittman

--

It was so incredibly hard for Ryoma to maintain his cold façade around you.

You, as the Ultimate Diplomat, were incredibly sweet and caring to everyone around you. From the extroverts to the introverts, you had a way of drawing people to you like moths to a light and uniting them in friendship.

It honestly felt fake to him. For the longest time he thought you had some deep, dark secret behind that saccharine smile, and he didn't want to be a part of any underbelly you were a part of. But as time passed, he came to realize that it was just... you. You were just a naturally kind person.

At first it confused him, but then he understood. He saw you utilize your talent, respectfully but firmly arguing your points and letting the other side see yours. When you went to him in the evenings to destress, bringing along one of the campus cats that seemed to wander about like they owned the place (which they probably did to some capacity), he saw past the cheer and saw a girl who was tired of getting hurt.

You reminded him of himself, or at least the self he used to know. It was simultaneously comforting and concerning, watching you push yourself so hard to act so perfect. All he could do was lend a shoulder when you needed it. Your smile made his heart flutter, and he soon found himself longing to see it.

When you came to him one day with a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day, shyly confessing your feelings, he had no idea what to think. You, of all people, liked him? Instead of someone more handsome, more outgoing, more optimistic? You chose him over people like Saihara and Gokuhara?

He didn't know why he accepted, but he did, and his flustered demeanor when you leaned in to shyly kiss his cheek made you giggle, and he decided he liked it.

Now as he walked with you, hand-in-hand, looking up at you as you talked animatedly about this and that, he realized that he felt safe. He felt happier than he had been in a long time.

When you smiled at him, he realized that maybe the light he was waiting for was you.

--

A/N: Wasn't expecting slight angst, but it's Ryoma, so yeet

Please tell me what you thought, feel free to request, and I'll see you guys later!