Kyoko Kirigiri x Hanahaki!Reader - Bloody Blossoms

REQUESTED BY: DaKyokoSimpuwu

A/N: Had this on my list for a while, apologies for it taking so long!

--

Agony had been all you knew ever since you started classes at Hope's Peak Academy. From the very moment you set eyes on her, you had found yourself afflicted with a most unfortunate condition.

Every time you thought of Kyoko Kirigiri, you found yourself coughing up petals. Ironically enough, as you were the Ultimate Florist.

Even though she was your upperclassman (and even though you were friends with some of her friends), your paths hardly ever crossed. Thus you were relegated to pining from afar, your lungs growing weaker and weaker with each passing week.

By winter, you'd finally gone to the hospital upon request. You'd passed out during lunch and Kaede had freaked, taking you straight there. When she learnt of your condition, she was devastated. She begged you to take out the flowers, even if it meant all memories of Kyoko would disappear. She begged you to be selfish for once.

You were conflicted.

On one hand, you were terrified to die. You were still so young, only 16, with your entire life ahead of you. You'd had a fairly good life before Hope's Peak, and while you loved Kyoko, you didn't want to leave your family and friends behind.

But on the other... the thought of forgetting Kyoko terrified you just as much. Nobody else knew of your condition, and you were worried of them finding out if it was revealed in that way. Everyone thought that Hanahaki had been eradicated decades ago, but here you were, the first documented case in almost a hundred years. You were sure to be ogled and gawked at for your diagnosis.

On one hand, you wanted to be rid of the flowers. The thorns were slowly clenching tighter and tighter, and every day began and ended with agony. But on the other, your love for Kyoko...

Taking a deep breath, you made your decision, ignoring the painful clenching of your lungs.

The next day at school, Kaede stuck next to you for most of it. The two of you went to class like usual, hung out with your friends like usual, and talked and laughed like usual.

You were just as cheerful as ever, taking care of your flowers inside the greenhouse and tending the bouquets that had been requested of you for the annual Christmas ball.

While you were working in the greenhouse, some students from Class 78 showed up, all smiles. Makoto waved to you. "Hi, (y/n)!"

You turned and gave them a big grin. "Hi, guys! Come to scope out the situation before they're finished?"

"We were talking about it today, and we just got so excited that we couldn't help it," Chihiro giggled nervously, glancing around the humid room at all of the vibrant flowers. "Do you mind?"

"Of course not! You're my friends, and I trust you," you replied with a laugh, gesturing around. "Take a look! Just don't touch any of the flowers."

Slowly, the group dispersed. Makoto and Sayaka milled around, looking at some light blue blooms and talking quietly. Chihiro smiled as he leaned in to sniff some white roses, taking in their fresh scent.

You turned back to the forget-me-nots that you were watering, not noticing a certain girl walking up behind you.

"How much time does it take, taking care of all these flowers?" Her voice momentarily startled you. You looked up to see Kyoko's eyes scanning the flowers in slight awe.

"Oh, usually it takes around several hours every day all told." You explained, setting the watering can down. "I stop in here before and after classes every day, plus I sometimes sneak away during lunch."

"I see..." she hummed, grasping her chin with her thumb and index finger.

You glanced over at her, intrigued. Something about her felt so familiar, yet you couldn't quite place it.

She caught you staring and a soft look entered her eyes for a moment. "Yes?"

"Oh, sorry for staring," you stuttered with a blush. "It's just... I feel like I've met you somewhere before, but I can't quite remember. I'm (l/n) (y/n), what's your name?"

At the sight of your outstretched hand, Kyoko blinked in confusion before taking it slowly.

"... Kirigiri Kyoko, Ultimate Detective," she greeted. "Haven't we... talked before?"

"Not from what I can remember, I'm afraid," you smiled sadly. "Anyways, it's nice to meet you! I hope to see more of you in the future."

You didn't notice the faded bloodstain still on the floor from one of your last fits, something that she noticed and immediately understood.

Kyoko's face filled with sympathy, and she smiled. "... Yes, so do I. It's nice to meet you, (l/n)-san."

--

A/N: Ahahaaaa, angst ahoy.

Please tell me what you thought, feel free to request more, and I'll see you guys later!