Makoto Naegi x Reader - Inevitable

A/N: Hey! Sorry that it's been a while. I'm still technically on break from some of my other books until January, but the plot bug bit me and it wouldn't leave me alone, so here you go!

As a side note, I finally watched The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals over Christmas and I just? I'm not okay? Like, Twisted didn't hurt me this bad. I can't wait for Black Friday (and hopefully seeing Paul and Emma happy ;--; )

Regardless of my ramblings about musicals, enjoy!

--

It had been a full 6 months since the Despairs had been defeated. Many of your friends had been lost, and you yourself came very close to meeting with Death. Thankfully, the Future Foundation took you in with the rest of the survivors and you were healing from your wounds.

Strangely, though, Makoto was unusually radio-silent. He often went days without calling you, and Kirigiri and Asahina were also very quiet. It simultaneously hurt and angered you. Did they feel like you were never actually their friend? Were they tired of you? Did they feel like they were free to run around now that you were recovering in headquarters?

It sent you spiralling into a new depression, one that was hard to break. You should have been overjoyed, you should've been refreshed, now that the nightmare of Hope's Peak was over. There were few Foundation members that you felt you could confide in, since the older ones either brushed off the depression as 'giving in too easily to Despair' or were simply too busy or too distant.

Togami, though, became a kind of informal companion. Whenever he visited Headquarters, you seemed to run into him -- and you two would end up sitting and talking in the cafeteria (since Fukawa was busy with Makoto's little sister).

As standoffish as he was, he proved to be a good listener. Even in Hope's Peak, he seemed to have a softer spot for you. He didn't often insult you if you were in the same room with him and he sometimes let you borrow books from his room. He was nice in that way, even if he was still an iceberg.

Even stranger, Togami, too, was quiet on Makoto's affairs. He listened, of course, but he didn't have very many answers to give you -- either that, or he was sworn to silence. Equally likely, as he'd become close to Makoto.

So you just sighed and went about your dreary days, wallowing in the bottomless pit of self-hatred.

-

One day, however, Makoto came back. In handcuffs.

You had been called in to testify against your love, even though you were clueless, and Munakata knew that.

It was emotional, seeing him again. His hair had been trimmed back a bit so that it wasn't so shaggy, and his eyes were harder, more determined, with a strange look in them. Something about him seemed off, but you couldn't quite place it.

You were quick to shrug it off. You were most likely just paranoid that he didn't love you anymore after being gone for so long without contact. You both had changed in the weeks he spent away.

When Munakata had assaulted him, you'd wanted to shout at him. You'd wanted to punch him as hard as he had Makoto. But you stilled your tongue because of a warning hand on your shoulder by Chisa.

As you leaned against the wall after the trial, arms folded, a sudden explosion ripped through the building, shaking it to its core. You fell to the ground, a shriek caught in your throat as you landed hard on your healing arm, the pain shooting up your body.

Someone ran into the room and gasped, and soft hands were picking you up.

You looked up through your teary eyes and realized that it was Asahina, looking you over with worried chocolate-brown eyes.