Ryota Mitarai x Reader - The Lady in Red

A/N: Guess who just remembered that Mitarai exists?

--

The party was a formality, of course; he hadn't wanted to come in the first place, but Imposter-kun and Chiaki had begged him to. So here he was, swirling a glass of punch, watching the ruby liquid crash up against the sides of the clear plastic cup and create little crystalline droplets that caught the lights of the venue, sparkling as they hit the surface.

Ryota sighed, taking a swig. It was sweet and fruity, some kind of berry blend that must have been expensive. He leaned even further against the wall, eyes scanning across the crowded floor with boredom. He was hoping to spot Chiaki so that he could tell her he was leaving, yet she seemed to be absent.

He took another swig as the song changed, and as he looked up again, his eyes widened.

The crowd parted slightly, allowing him to spot a young woman in a beautiful slinky red dress, glittering the same ruby in the light as his punch. Her hair, a styled and soft-looking (f/c), was tossed over her shoulder as she laughed at something some other student had said. Her eyes were a bright (e/c) that glanced about, and when they made momentary eye-contact she smiled, right at him.

It sent a spark right through his chest and a blush to his cheeks as he averted his gaze to his drink again. She was truly a vision; even when he shyly glanced up again, he saw her walking towards him with a confident, friendly gait, and the light seemed to cast a halo across the crown of her head.

"Hi," she greeted airily as she joined him at the wall. "I couldn't help but notice that you were over here alone."

His head bobbed up and down, unable to make eye-contact again. His face was burning, his hand shaking slightly.

The woman smiled again, holding out her hand. "My name is (l/n) (y/n)."

"M- Mitarai." He replied, hesitantly shaking it. Her hand was smaller than his own, and much softer. "Mitarai Ryota."

"Well, Mitarai," she continued, gently stepping away with a look, "shall we dance together for a while?"

Ryota blinked for a moment before mumbling an affirmative, finishing off the punch and setting the cup down so that the woman could tug him away.

Her shoes clacked against the floor as she led him to the outskirts of the crowd, and her free hand came to rest on his shoulder, beginning a slow waltz.

For all his anxiety, he managed to keep a level-enough head to daintily rest his hands on her hips (with an encouraging look from her).

As he looked into her eyes, the rest of the people seemed to melt away. She was bewitching, her (e/c) gaze boundless in its depths. It was like gazing into a well; never before had the saying "the eyes are the window to the soul" held so much truth. Ryota could see so much at once in (y/n)'s glittering irises, eager and soft.

The two of them danced like that together for the rest of the night, soft conversations held between them, eyes only for each other. (y/n) seemed just as charmed as he, her smile seeming almost to brighten up the entire room whenever he looked at her.

As the night melted away, the lingering longing between them only strengthened, and before he knew it he was walking to his car in a haze, the tingling sensation of her lips on his cheek and the number lovingly put into his contacts list inspiring him to seek out her company again.

--

A/N: Short but sweet. I love this song, so it was pretty fun to write!

Please tell me what you thought, feel free to request, and I'll see you guys later!