Chihiro Fujisaki x Reader - Burnout

A/N: Now that I've had plenty of sleep, here's a oneshot about everyone's favorite cinnamon roll of a computer programmer! (#ChihiroDeservedBetter)

--

"(y/n), please, you have to stop."

She shook her head again, the dizziness of sleep nearly causing her to close her eyes longer than it took to blink.

"(y/n), it's nearly three in the morning."

"I just have to try and finish this, and then I'll go to bed," she slurred, blinking rapidly as she tried to focus on the screen. "Go back to bed, Hiro. I'm fine, I promise."

A soft sigh.

Slender arms wrapped around her from behind and a face buried itself in her neck. "I'm worried about you," he admitted quietly. "You've been pulling all-nighters for weeks. Can't the book wait a while?"

"No, it absolutely can not." she snapped back, squinting. Trembling fingers typed a couple of words more before she angrily jabbed the backspace button, deleting them. "If I keep waiting like this, then they'll be mad! I can't just leave my readers hanging like this!"

Chihiro yawned for a moment before continuing. "But wouldn't you be able to think better if you had more than a few hours of sleep? I mean, it is a work night."

"I have inspiration, so I need to write it down before I forget it," she stubbornly insisted. The clacking of the laptop keys was the only noise in the room for a minute or two as she tried to capture her thoughts. Finally, with a frustrated sigh, she deleted a whole line of text and hid her face in her hands.

"Why is writing so hard, Chi?" She mumbled into her palms. "Why can't I write anymore?"

"We're not as young as we used to be, y'know." He pointed out with a heavy sigh. "(y/n), please just come to bed. I'll just keep worrying about you if you stay."

She finally whirled around, staring at him with baggy, despair-ridden eyes.

"Chihiro, I can't just leave this here." She begged. "I have a job to do, and I need to make sure it gets done. I honestly don't have a clue as to why I suddenly can't think of the words, but I still have to do something!"

"Everyone's worrying about you, and I think that's more important than your next book," he retorted. He yawned again into his hand and grabbed hers. "Come to bed. I promise you that everything will be much clearer in the morning, after more than two hours of sleep."

"I can't." She shook her head. "My fans need this. My fans need me. I can sacrifice a little sleep if it means making them happy."

He covered his face in his hands for a moment to think. Then he looked at her with a little sigh, his frown deepened in the light of the monitor.

"Listen, I was the Ultimate Programmer. I get it." A little bit of his irritation leaked into his voice, but he still kept his cajoling tone. "I've had my fair share of late nights and no sleep. But you wanna know why I stopped?"

She didn't answer, so he kept going. "My friends. Naegi. Asahina. You. Once I realized how selfish I was being by stubbornly trying to keep working even when my mind was empty, once I realized how it was affecting my relationships and my grades, I knew I had to stop. Doing this--" he gestured vaguely towards the laptop, "-- isn't going to help anyone in the long run. It's only going to destroy you until you're a shell of what you used to be. Sure, you call it 'a little sleep', but it always starts that way and builds up. You're becoming addicted to working, even at the cost of your creative mind, and I refuse to let you kill your brain just for this."

"Please, if you won't do it for anyone else, do it for me," he begged her. "I love you. I can't stand to see you do this to yourself."

He was about to go on when a light snore suddenly came from her agape lips, and he immediately realized that she'd fallen asleep... with her eyes open.

He sighed heavily. "Well, at least you're finally sleeping. Geez... we'll have a lengthy talk tomorrow morning."

He glanced at the time on the monitor and shook his head. "I'll have to call Fukawa-san tomorrow about giving her a much-needed day off."

He hooked his arms under her knees and picked her up, making her lean into his chest. With an exasperated smile towards her, he carried her off to bed.

--

A/N: (If you really look into it, it could be perceived as projecting?? A little bit??) Kind of short, I know, but not bad for the first Fujisaki oneshot.

Well, anyway. Please tell me what you thought, feel free to request, and I'll see you guys later!