Kokichi Ouma x Reader - What I'd Never Say

REQUESTED BY: P1nks0ftie

A/N: Enjoy some more Despair Disease what-ifs with Ouma.

--

It was something straight out of a reality show. Well, that much was true, considering that you immediately recognized it when Monokuma cheerfully announced that a few of your classmates had been infected with something called 'Despair Disease' one morning.

Looking around, you'd noticed that a few of your classmates were missing. Shuichi, Kokichi, Gonta, and Angie were gone, leaving the rest of you confused and worried about them.

"Until one of you gets done in, they aren't getting better!" Monokuma had cackled, stabbing a roasted squid with a fork. "Unluckily for you, you don't have a nurse to keep track of 'em. Oh well, it is what it is!"

When you went to find them later that day, what you saw shocked you.

Gonta immediately cowered away from everyone, distrustful eyes darting back and forth as he vehemently cast his suspicion on anything anyone tried to say to him. He would believe absolutely nothing, especially not the others trying to talk him down and consoling him. He wouldn't even believe you when you told him that you didn't want to hurt him, and it stung.

Shuichi seemed to have lost all pretenses of reservation; instead of his usual guarded demeanor, now he was excitable, sinister with the way his eyes raked up and down your classmates as if sizing them up for slaughter. Considering his past interactions with you (and his ongoing sorrow over Kaede), it was enough to send chills down your spine. You couldn't stay in his room for long for fear that he would do something he would normally never forgive himself for.

Angie, despondent, completely denounced her religious beliefs, claiming that Atua never cared about her and wasn't going to save her from the school. Himiko was absolutely crushed at this, begging her to reconsider, but she snapped at her until she went away.

And finally, Kokichi. The boy who clung to you on a daily basis when he wasn't bothering Shuichi or K1B0. Instead of his chipper face and honey-laced words, here he was solemn and quiet, and when he spoke he winced as if telling the truth viscerally hurt him.

He was the most tolerable for you to stay with, and so it was decided that you would take care of him until the disease faded.

"Kokichi, I brought dinner," you said as you opened his door. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Horrible," he muttered with a sigh as his purple eyes shifted to look at you. "What did you bring?"

"I brought noodles." You sat the tray down on his knees and sat next to him yourself. You gave him a hopeful look. "Is it okay?"

"Good enough." He sighed again and picked up the chopsticks.

You deflated a bit, but remained quiet. It was important not to set off the infected students, lest they do something worse than just remain in their rooms. Even being around them gave you a chance to get infected apparently, but Monokuma was stubbornly trite about all that the disease was capable of. Since you nor the others felt any different by this point, about a day into it, so your guards were beginning to drop.

You watched as he ate, twiddling your fingers together. It wasn't like him to be this quiet, and it was unnerving.

Kokichi glanced up for a moment, an annoyed frown crossing his face. "Could you not stare at me? It's creepy."