Makoto Naegi x Reader - Mistletoe

REQUESTED BY: Sk3tchb00k

A/N: The first of the requested holiday oneshots (the planned ones will take place later, and I have special ones on the 24th and 25th). Enjoy!

--

The annual Hope's Peak Christmas ball was in full swing, staff and students alike enjoying the festive atmosphere. The student council had come together to make this year's truly unforgettable, with beautiful hanging ornaments and a giant Christmas tree decorated beautifully with baubles of all colors and with little handwritten notes from partygoers, either stating their hopes for the next year or a short expression of love towards their friends or loved ones.

All evening, class 78 had been trying to get Makoto to use the party to confess to a girl he'd had his eye on. You were in the other class batch, lively and cheerful, and he'd fallen for you right away at the beginning of the year. As he stood by with a few friends sipping some cold cider and shyly watching you dance around goofily with your friends, Sayaka nudged him.

"You've still got a chance," she reminded him softly. "Go talk to her."

"I-- I can't drag her away from her friends," he protested with a weak look.

"Then I'll go with you and distract them while you take her away to tell her," she determined.

"Sayaka, no," Makoto pleaded.

"Sayaka, yes," Kyoko spoke up from his other side, startling them both for a moment.

"Kyo-chan! I didn't think you'd make it." Sayaka smiled at her, kissing her cheek. "C'mon Mako, if Kyoko's agreeing with me, then maybe it's a better idea than you think!"

Out of desperation, he turned to Kyoko with a pleading look. She was usually the more rational one of the two and knew when to pick her battles.

Instead, she just gave him an unimpressed look. "Watching you two dance about each other all year has been vexing to say the least. For your own good, you should tell her."

"B- but, I," he stuttered, raising his hands. "It's not romantic enough... I want it to be special, y'know?"

"Really, Makoto?" Sayaka gave him a scandalized grimace as she gestured to the decor with a sweeping motion of her arm. "This isn't romantic?"

Kyoko sighed, placing a hand on his shoulder. "The rest of the class agrees, Makoto. You should get it off of your chest before winter break, at least."

"... Fine," he finally sighed. "But I'll tell her in my own way, okay?"

"Good enough for me!" The bluenette chirped, taking Kyoko's hand. "We'll be waiting over by the tree, tell us how it went later! We're rooting for you!"

She dragged the lilac-haired girl away, the detective giving him one last nod before turning away and trying to match Sayaka's pace.

He watched them go, his nerves overtaking him for a minute. He exhaled heavily, turning to look over at you again. You were laughing at something your friend said, although you were walking away towards the refreshments. Now's my chance!

He tried to look casual as he strode over to the refreshment table as you ladled yourself some punch. When you looked up and smiled at him, he rose a hand in greeting. "Hi, (y/n)."

"Makoto!" You cheered, setting your cup down to give him a quick squeeze. "Great party, isn't it? I swear they get better and better every year."

"Yeah." He chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "Uh, do you wanna hang out for a while?"

"Sure, what's up?" You asked, taking a sip of your punch.

"I just haven't talked to you all night," he shrugged as you took his hand, trying to ignore the way his heart picked up pace at the contact. "I missed you. How'd you think you did on finals?"

You groaned. "Don't even mention them, I'm so ready to sleep for a week now that I don't have to worry about studying anymore."

"Mood," he chuckled.

The two of you walked over to the wall, where you stood around and just chatted together. For the first time all night he found himself relaxing as you laughed at his jokes, and he smiled, his courage rising. Now's my chance to say it...

Just as he opened his mouth, your eyes caught something casting a shadow on the wall and you pointed. "Hey, what's that up there?"

He followed your eyes and his own widened when he saw an innocent little piece of mistletoe hanging from the ceiling above you.

"I didn't notice that when we came over here," you hummed, tapping your chin. "I wonder who put it there."

Makoto laughed nervously. "Weird, I didn't see it either."

You looked at him and shrugged. "Well, I don't see why we can't take up the opportunity."

"Wh- wha--"

Before he knew it, you were cupping his cheek and your soft lips were pressing against his, your perfume growing more noticeable when you leaned in. It was a comforting evanescent fragrance, and when he closed his eyes and kissed back, your other arm wrapped around his waist.

After a moment of kissing, you both pulled away, dizzy and excited. Makoto panted quietly, catching your eye with a shy smile.

"That was incredible," you breathed, returning his look. "Makoto, I..."

"I really like you, (y/n), he burst out.

After a taken-aback moment of silence, you laughed. "Guess you beat me to it! Who knew all it took was a kiss to get you to spit it out, huh?"

His blush worsened, and he looked surprised. "Y- you knew?"

"I've known for a while now," you replied with a soft smile. "Around the time of the fall talent festival, actually. I just didn't know if you'd come out with it or if I'd have to bring it up first."

Makoto ran a hand through his hair, exhaling. "So I worried for nothing... somehow that doesn't surprise me."

You just smiled, bumping his shoulder with yours. "Hey, look on the bright side, at least you've got someone to get stuck under the mistletoe with!" You teased, causing him to laugh.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the room, Sayaka slipped a hundred-thousand yen note to Sakura. "Thanks again for doing this," she said, giving the taller girl a winning smile.

"It's nothing," she responded, pocketing the money with a soft chuckle. "I'm more pleased with the thought that I won the pool."

"Togami's not gonna be happy about that one, is he?" Sayaka giggled.

"Well Togami is going to have to deal," Kyoko replied. "He still needs to pay up for the Talent Festival bet. That stingy bastard owes me big."

--

A/N: Okay don't hate me here,, but I kinda like the idea of Sayaka and Kyoko together 😳👉👈 (also yes, she's wearing gloves here: Kyoko with black evening gloves😳)

Please tell me what you thought, feel free to request more, and I'll see you guys later!