Happy Anniversary - Matthew Tkachuk

I laid on our bed

I laid on our bed. Confused, anxious and close to broken. My hand gently rubbed my belly while my mind wandered to thoughts of what events the next few months had in store.

I had been dating Matthew Tkachuk for a few years and everything was perfect...until I saw those two little lines staring back at me. Two lines that meant our whole world was about to change, two lines that could tear apart everything I've come to know and love about being with Matt.

Yeah, we loved each other but this wasn't part of the plan. Marriage and babies were definitely something we had talked about happening in the future, but that was the future and I knew neither of us were ready for this right now. We were still so young and had so much we wanted to do before we had kids.

My mind kept flashing to what would happen when I finally told him. I would absolutely fall apart if he wasn't happy, but on the other hand I would understand. Neither of us expected something like this to happen and I had no idea how he would handle it, I didn't even know how I was handling it.

I had thought about waiting to tell him until after our anniversary but the more I thought about it, the more I knew I had to tell him sooner rather than later.

Three year anniversaries. Usually they're filled with love, happiness and a celebration of a relationship, ours might not go as smoothly as most young couples in love.

I had finished setting up what I had to and now the only thing to do was wait for Matt to get home. We had plans for our anniversary that night. I knew we had dinner planned but he wouldn't tell me anything else, he wanted it to be a surprise. Boy did I have a surprise for him as well.

The minute I heard the front door open I popped off the bed and went to meet him.

"There's my girl" he smiled at me pulling me into a hug and giving me a quick peck on the lips. "Happy anniversary, baby. Three years with the most beautiful girl in the universe, and counting. " he smiled again kissing me gently.

"I'm glad you're home" I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed tightly.

"I have something for you" he pulled away gently to reach into his pocket.

He handed me a small box and I looked up into his expectant eyes before I tugged the box open. Inside was a thin band with three diamonds. My eyes widened with how beautiful and delicate it was.

"One for each year I've loved you" he kissed my forehead.

I could feel the pregnancy test in my pocket taunting me. All I could do was slightly smile, I guess it showed to be more sad than I thought.

"What's wrong?" He pulled away to look at me cautiously.

"Nothing, nothings wrong per se." I tried to smile again. "I have something for you too"

I gently grabbed his hand and pulled him to our room. I motioned to the closet door.

"Open it" I mumbled with a half smile, it was now or never.

He rose an eyebrow at me and slowly and cautiously opened the door with a smile.

Inside the closet I had moved all our clothes to one side of the closet so when he opened the door all he saw was a single, tiny Flames jersey hanging backwards to show the name Tkachuk.

He turned to me quickly with a shocked expression. The way he was looking at me I knew there was a burning question waiting to pour out of him.

"I think I'm pregnant" I said through worried tears. My voice was quiet and I couldn't hide the fear.

"Are you serious?" He looked at me seriously.

"Happy anniversary?" I took the pregnancy test out of my pocket and held it up for him to see.

"Baby!" He yelled excitedly taking a few steps towards me and attacking me in a hug lifting me off the ground. "This is amazing" he put me back on my feet taking my face in both his hands giving me a few quick kisses between his words.

"It is?" I asked with tears still falling.

"Of course it is, sweetheart" he pulled me back into a hug. "Yeah it's unexpected but Y/N, we're having a baby" he smiled widely. I could see his eyes starting to water.

It warmed my heart, I thought he was going to be so angry and here he was tearing up. I loved him with all my heart.

"And I thought you were going to be mad" I breathed a laugh shaking my head.

"Mad? Baby, I'm the furthest from mad. I'm so happy I can't even put it into words. I love you so much and I love them so much" he laid a gentle hand on my belly rubbing it slightly with a smile. "We'll just start our family a little earlier than we intended" he brought his smile from my stomach up to meet mine.

"I love you so much too, we both do" I placed my hand over his.

"Well I guess this rules out the second part of our anniversary date tonight" he chuckled looking down at me.

"Why?"

"It involves a lot of tasting alcohol" he laughed pulling me back into his arms.

"Oh, yeah that might not be good for little Tkachuk" I giggled rubbing his back.

"Not so much no" he smiled kissing my lips gently. "Doesn't matter, whatever we end up doing will be amazing for me because I'm with you"

"Agreed, anything's amazing with you" I planted kisses from his cheek to his lips.

"Are you and baby Tkachuk hungry?"

"Starving" I giggled.

"Good, let's go eat" he smiled taking my hand in his and going to close the closet door. "We're framing that when they grow out of it, you know" he motioned his head to the jersey before completely closing the door.

"Whatever you say, hun" I shook my head with a laugh. He was going to be an amazing dad, there wasn't ever any doubt in my head.

Requested by: razzledazzlecalista

First off, thank you for requesting!

Second! Most massive happy birthday to such an amazing human! ❤️❤️❤️ Everyone show her some birthday love if you haven't already! 

Also! Go check out her awesome NHL preferences and imagines books if you haven't already! You won't be disappointed☺️