Sunshine - Marc-Andre Fleury

"I win again" I smiled throwing myself on the couch out of breath from playing the exercise game we'd been playing

"See, what you refuse to acknowledge though is, I let you win Y/N" he threw himself on the couch next to me.

"Whatever makes you feel better, Fleury" I giggled nudging him.

I looked up at him with adoring eyes. He was one of my best friends and I wouldn't trade him for anything. He would never know because I would never have the nerve to tell him, but he was my person. No doubt in my mind we belonged together but I couldn't risk losing him.

"You want to maybe catch that new movie you've been wanting to see tonight? We can smuggle in your favorite snacks" he looked at me with a smile.

My heart was hurting, I really did want to go see the movie with him but I had already made plans with a guy I had been talking to for the last week to see the same movie this weekend. No guy would ever compare with him but I had to accept the fact that the two of us was never going to happen.

"I kind of have plans this weekend...to see that same movie actually." His expression fell I could totally tell that he was disappointed. "I could always catch a different movie and we can see that movie together or we can see whatever movie you want" I smiled trying to smooth things over.

"Don't worry about it, have fun" he smiled sadly.

"Hey, what's wrong? We can still see the movie, I'll just ask Johnny to see a different movie" I smiled placing a hand on his arm.

"Johnny?" He looked at me questioningly.

"Yeah, the guy I've been talking to. You have to meet him I think you two would really get along"

"Doubtful" he said barely above a whisper.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, I knew I was getting defensive.

"What? Oh nothing" he forced a smile. I could totally tell it was forced.

"Are you ok? You've been acting a little weird" I pointed out as I reached for my water on the side table.

"I'm perfectly fine, be safe this weekend sunshine" he got up planted a kiss on the top of my head and walked to the kitchen.

"Why have you been saying that all week when I mention him?" I stormed into the kitchen.

"I don't trust him" he shrugged pouring a glass of juice.

"You don't even know him" I said lowly.

"All the more reason not to trust him"

"What does it matter? I'm not yours to protect" I mumbled half hoping he wouldn't hear me.

He slammed the fridge shut, making it shake a little. He heard me. He sat facing the fridge and took a deep breath.

"Look, I don't want to fight with you" he started turning towards me.

"Then why are you being like this?" I snapped.

"I will always protect you, without hesitation. What about that do you not understand?" His voice and face softened.

"You don't have to protect me, I'm not yours to protect" I reiterated.

"Well you know what? You should be" he rose his voice a little again.

"What?" I asked confused.

"I need you, Y/N. As much as I don't want to, I need you. Why do you think I always call you sunshine?"

"I just assumed you liked the name" I shrugged still confused.

"Y/N, what's my nickname?"

"What?"

"What's. My. Nickname?" Each word was said slowly and drawn out.

"Flower" I answered quietly unsure of what was happening still.

"And what do flowers need?"

"Water?"

"Sunshine, Y/N, they need sunshine"

"Not all flowers" I tried to make this situation less awkward.

"Well this one does" he pointed a finger at himself. "And it always will. Why can't you just give me a chance?"

"Wh-what do you mean?" I stuttered out.

"You are everything to me. You're my rock, the light when my day is dark and gloomy, the warmth in my life...you're my sunshine."

I didn't know how to react. He had never even slightly showed that he felt how he was saying now. He was always my best friend. My attraction to him started we first started hanging out, I had the biggest crush on him until he started dating someone. I locked that attraction up tight and even after they broke up I still kept it to myself because it wasn't worth bringing up and ruining everything.

I slowly reached over, wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him to me for a hug. I breathed deep as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders. Being in his arms at that moment was overwhelming. Tears started to fall as I clung to him for dear life. For some reason I felt like if I let him go, I would lose him forever.

"Are you ok?" He whispered, neither of us moving.

"No" I sniffled a little into his chest.

"Hey, hey everything's ok" he soothed in my ear as he rubbed my hair. "I didn't mean to make you cry"

"I don't want to lose you" I sobbed clinging to him.

"You won't lose me" he kissed the top of my head. "I'll always be your best friend"

His words made me sob even harder. I loved him. No, I was in love with him.

"Listen" he pulled me out of our hug and took my face in both his hands. "Nothing will change us, just because you don't-" he started before I cut him off.

I reached up and locked my lips with his. It took him a second to react before he moved a hand away from my face and wrapped it around me pulling me to him.

"I-" I breathed when we pulled away before he stopped me by placing a finger over my lips.

"Don't say it, you don't have to. Spare me from hearing you say it, I-" I stopped him by placing a finger on his lips like he had done to me.

I slowly moved his finger from my lips and kissed his hand lightly.

"I'm in love with you, a part of me thinks I always have been" I managed to choke out while attempting to hold my tears in. He moved my hand gently from his lips.

"I'm so crazy in love with you, sunshine"

My smile widened. Everything else seemed to fade away in that moment, we were in love. I wasn't letting him go for anything. He was my flower and I was his sunshine, and I always would be.

Requested by: @powerfulHater

Thanks for requesting! ❤️❤️❤️