Sweet - Mat Barzal

"This place is beautiful" I stated looking around the cabin everyone was filing into

"Everyone grab a room then meet in the kitchen food should be here soon" my sister said as she walked past us all and into a room.

She had been in charge of putting this whole vacation together. We had a weird but interesting group on this trip, I wasn't complaining.

I laid my stuff in a small but cozy room and unpacked what little I had brought with. I changed out of my travel clothes and met in the kitchen as people started slowly showing up.

"You all get a key. You will not lose your key. Hear me Y/N? You will not lose your key" My sister pushed.

"I will not lose my key...jerk" I responded grabbing the key gaining a laugh from a few people in the group. I looked up and caught eyes with one of the people laughing.

I didn't notice him before. He was cute, and his laugh made me smile. He smiled genuinely at me and I felt my cheeks turn hot and fill with a shade of pink.

"Other than that, have fun and let's eat" my sister finished. I didn't hear half of what she said. All through dinner I kept catching eyes with the handsome stranger exchanging smiles.

After dinner I wanted to explore a little of the outside. I walked around for a bit admiring the landscape and scenery. I was so focused I didn't even notice the sun go down.

I walked back to the cabin my hands numbing and my nose stinging from the cold. 'Looks like someone else had the same idea' I said to myself as I approached the front of the cabin and someone was already sitting out front.

"Were you out there this whole time?" He laughed. It was the guy from earlier.

"Yeah...I guess" I stammered trying to be cool.

"I've been out here awhile and I didn't even see you leave"

"Yeah I lost track of time everything's so beautiful" I smiled thinking back.

"Aren't you cold?" He asked as I took a seat next to him.

"Yeah, kinda. It'll be ok I'm going comfortably numb" I laughed.

"Here, I don't need it I have layers" he smiled taking off his jacket.

"I can't take your jacket" I shook my head.

"Boyfriend will get mad?" He looked at me suspiciously.

"I don't have a boyfriend I just don't want you to be cold"

"Stop, I told you. I have layers" he laid the jacket around my shoulders and kept eye contact as he pulled away.

"Thank you, that's very sweet" I smiled at him.

"Mat" he extended his hand.

"Y/N" I took his hand shaking it slightly. "What brings you on this trip?" I ask pulling his jacket closer to me for the warmth.

"My buddy's into the girl who planned this whole thing and I had a few days off so I figured I'd keep him out of trouble."

I half laughed as he was talking causing him to contort his face into an expression of confusion.

"What?" He breathed a laugh along with me.

"The girl who put this all together is my sister. Kind of why I'm here, to keep her out of trouble" I shrugged. "I bet work is going to suck after this huh?"

"It might not be so bad" he smirked in my direction.

"What is it that you do?" I pulled my legs to my chest.

"I play hockey" he beamed.

"Fine, don't tell me" I joked.

He let out a laugh then looked back at me "What do you do?"

"I'm in advertising...thrilling"

"I think it's cool"

I smiled looking down. He was sweet.

"I think I should head inside, even with this jacket I'm freezing" I laughed.

Mat reached out his hand. "Let's go inside" I gladly took his hand and let him lead me inside. "Your hands are freezing"

"My point exactly" I explained laughing as we came to a stop in the living room taking a seat by the fireplace that was already lit. Mat took both of my hands in his and rubbed his own over them in an attempt to warm them up.

A smile grew on my face watching him work to warm my ice cold hands and he smiled back at me.

"Has anyone ever told you how sweet you are?"

"Does that mean if I ask you to lunch tomorrow I won't get rejected?" He laughed.

"Why don't you ask and find out" I joked.

"Y/N will you go to lunch with me tomorrow?"

"Mmm no thank you" he faked a hurt look making me laugh. "I'm just kidding I'd love to go to lunch with you"

"Great, it's a date" he kissed my cheek before walking back to his room, leaving me speechless and wanting more.

I stayed by the fire for a little longer to thaw myself before putting out the fire and heading to my room. I sat there for a few minutes thinking about what had happened between Mat and I before the realization hit me that I still had his jacket. I debated with myself for a few minutes before I hopped off the bed and headed a few doors down.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. The one thing I was hoping for was that he wasn't sleeping and I was waking him up by coming to his door. After a few minutes the door opened to Mat with a wide smile on his face.

"I forgot to give you your jacket" I held it out to him.

"Is that all your here for?" He laughed "you could have kept it till tomorrow"

"Well I wanted to say goodnight too because I didn't really,,," I stammered, I was nervous.

He gently grabbed me by the waist and pulled me to him catching my lips in a sweet gentle kiss.

"Goodnight Y/N, I cant wait to see you tomorrow" he smiled when he pulled away.

He was without a doubt the sweetest guy I'd ever met. "I can't wait to see you either" I reached up to give him one last quick peck before walking back to my room in a daze and still wanting more.