You First - Mat Barzal

I threw my coat on a chair before flopping onto the couch as soon as I made it through my front door

I threw my coat on a chair before flopping onto the couch as soon as I made it through my front door. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. It had been a long night.

My boyfriend and I had broken up, it had been coming for awhile and for some reason I always knew it but it still hurt. I was the one who broke things off with him, so why was I feeling like this was so wrong? When I left the house I had not anticipated that we would break up that night, I was actually excited for the night, but the more the night went on the more the urge to end it settled in.

I grabbed my phone scrolling to Mat's name. We had this thing whenever we would go out or even just in general. We would text the other one that we were home and in for the night so we knew the other was safe. Tonight I dreaded the 'I'm home' text to Mat.

'I'm home' I typed into my phone before hitting send, shutting off my phone and letting the phone fall from my hands to the couch. It wasn't long until my phone vibrated.

'Everything ok? You're home early' I read in my head before closing my eyes and accepting what I knew would happen. I knew Mat would know something was wrong, I'm usually out way later especially when I'm having fun.

'Everything's fine just a long night' I sent back leaving my phone open since I knew he would text back quickly.

'Y/N don't lie to me I can tell when you're lying what's wrong?'

'Josh and I broke up tonight, it's nothing'

'Y/N are you ok?'

'It's nothing, I'm fine'

He hadn't texted back in a good ten to fifteen minutes. I huffed and threw my phone on the couch behind me before pulling myself up and making my way to my room. I just wanted to be comfortable and with the chill in the air baggy, warm clothes sounded amazing. I threw on baggy pajama pants and a sweatshirt and went to the kitchen to make some hot chocolate.

As I was getting the ingredients out I heard a knock at the door. I sighed in defeat and dragged myself to the front door. I took a deep breath before opening it expecting to see Josh at the other side of the door.

"Mat?" I asked confused when I saw his face.

"I brought you ice cream, your favorite movies, pizza, candy and I stopped at that little cupcake shop on the way and please tell me you still like red velvet" he smiled. He was amazing, he took it upon himself to comfort me I didn't even have to ask.

"You did all this for me?" I gave him a slight smile.

"Anything for you" he held out his arms. I wrapped my arms tightly around his middle and squeezed. He was just the comfort that I needed. I helped him with the items as he followed me to the kitchen.

"You're staying right?" I looked up at him as I grabbed two bowls for ice cream out of the cabinet.

"Is that an invitation?" He laughed.