I Wish I Knew - Carter Hart Part 2

I sat in the hotel room looking back at the past year of my life

I sat in the hotel room looking back at the past year of my life. Things had sure changed. When I first moved to Philadelphia I was nervous, scared, excited. Now it's comfortable, it's familiar and it's home. The biggest difference was probably that when I first moved to Philadelphia Carter became one of my best friends, we spent a ton of time together and he was one of the first real friends I made in Philadelphia.

'Man, things sure have changed' I thought to myself. There was a knock at the door that pulled me from my thoughts.

I got up to answer the door expecting to see Sidney on the other side but was pleasantly surprised to see Carter instead.

"I brought you dinner, babe" Carter said making his way through the door and giving me a gentle kiss.

"Thanks baby, I'm starving" I smiled as he grabbed my hand and pulled me to the couch.

"Are you excited to see your brother?" He asked pulling out the food he brought.

"Yeah, excited and nervous" I smiled lightly.

"Nervous?" He questioned raising and eyebrow at me.

"Well, yeah. I mean, he knows we're friends but-" I started before he cut me off.

"You still haven't told him, Y/N?" He asked shocked.

"Well...no"

"Y/N, love, it's been over a year" he seemed concerned.

"I know, I know, I just, he can't know Carter trust me. He will freak out, it won't end well" I started to ramble as Carter pulled me into a hug.

"Ok, ok, we don't have to tell him" he kissed the top of my head. I relaxed and gave him a quick squeeze before moving back to the food.

I separated the food and sat down looking at Carter as a smile spread across my face. I was reminded of the first time he told me he loved me in that parking garage after a game of ours. I was scared that night, I didn't know how to react, I didn't know how I was feeling, I pushed him away. It wasn't until I went to grab food with Ivan and he all but told me I was stupid that I realized I was confused because no one had ever made me feel the way that he had.

I had run to Carter's place as soon as I could and my heart dropped when he didn't answer his door. I thought I had ruined everything. My smile became wider as I thought back to that moment.

I slid down the door and sat with my back against it. I ruined everything. I had finally realized that I did feel the same way for Carter and I wanted to tell him how sorry I was. I craved one of his hugs, craved to hear his laugh, craved to see his smile. I took a deep breath feeling defeated.

That was until the door opened.

I tumbled backwards into Carter's place landing flat on my back.

"Y/N? What are you doing here? Are you ok?" Carter asked wiping the sleep from his eyes.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" I pulled myself to my feet and looked at him seriously.

"It's ok, what's wrong" he motioned for me to come in and he closed the door behind me.

"I lied Carter" I said matter of factly.

"What do you mean?" He seemed confused.

"I lied when I told you I wasn't sure I loved you the same way you loved me. I love you Carter" I stepped closer to him. "I'm sorry I lied but I was scared and confused and everything happened so fast and I understand if-"

"Y/N, you're rambling" he cut me off and pulled me to him quickly crashing his lips on mine. My chest felt like it ignited and sparks set through my entire body. He pulled away with his smile prominent.

"I love you too"

"Y/N, you ok?" Carter's voice pulled me back to now.

"Never better" I smiled at him before digging into my food. I stopped for a second looking back at him. "I love you" I smiled.

"I love you too" He returned the smile and continued eating.

I was pacing in the hallway. I had barely seen Sidney in the past year and my team was about to play his. He had come by to visit last night but it was a quick visit before he rushed out. My nerves grew when we got word that Carter would be starting.

The team filed out and past me. Carter trailed behind and I pulled him to me as he passed.

"Good luck, baby" I smiled at him and snuck a quick kiss as he smiled back.

"Same to you cutie" he laughed as we joined the rest of the team.

What I didn't know was Sidney was in the hallway with us and the kiss I thought was secret between Carter and I was also witnessed by my big brother.

The game went as well as expected with Sidney finding out Carter and I's secret. After the game, I was getting my things together when a few people ran in screaming for me to hurry up and follow them. I ran behind them and my heart dropped when I saw what they wanted me to see. Carter and Sidney were fighting. Well, more like Sidney was going crazy on Carter and Carter was trying his best to get out of the fight.

"Enough" I yelled pulling them apart and stepping in the middle of them. "What's going on?" I asked sternly.

"Why don't you ask your boyfriend" Sidney hissed. I glanced at Carter who shrugged.

"What are you talking about Sid?" I asked confused.

"I saw you kiss him before the game tonight, how could you not tell me?!" He yelled.

"Because I knew this is exactly what you would do, you would get mad, fly off the handle and take things too far" I matched his tone.

"How long Y/N?" Sid asked barely above a whisper.

"Sid-" I started.

"How long Y/N?!" His voice was a scream now.

"...a year" I said quietly.

"A year? A year?! Y/N, I'm your brother. I'm supposed to protect you. How could you not tell me." He started.

"You're my brother, you should have come talk to me. This is unacceptable" I motioned with my hands to the scene.

"Y/N-" Sidney started before I cut him off.

"Call me when you calm down and stop over reacting"

I grabbed Carter's hand and brought him away from the commotion with me.

"Are you ok?" I asked gently when we were far enough away. He stopped walking and held my hand tighter causing me to stop with him.

"Are you?" He asked with sympathy in his eyes. I pulled him to me and he wrapped his arms around me tightly. Things weren't the best at that moment but I knew as long as Carter was by my side, everything would be just fine.