War - Colton Parayko

My brother had dragged me to another event with him

My brother had dragged me to another event with him. Don't get me wrong I loved spending time with my brother and his friends whenever I could but this time was different.

I had recently been growing feelings for one of his teammates. This ordinarily wouldn't be a bad thing except I hinted around about the idea and he immediately shot it down. Colton had always been someone I would consider a close friend from the minute I met him. Our friendship bonded quickly and it wasn't until very recently I had thought about taking that friendship into something more intimate.

Moving to the area helped in aiding those feelings I think, the more time I spent around my brother and his team the stronger they got. I wouldn't say I was angry about the way things went with Colton when I hinted at the idea of us being more than friends, but I was definitely bitter.

This event was proving difficult, usually I would try to stick by my brother or Colton but my brother was super busy and I was bitter at Colton. I turned to my next best friend at that time, alcohol.

Deep into the party, I knew I was in trouble. Standing was becoming quite difficult and even I could barely understand myself when I spoke. I had already stopped drinking but I think my anxiety over the whole situation made me overdo it initially. I decided it was time to call a car service and head home.

I sat on the steps outside of the venue and attempted to mess around on my phone to get a car. I was so concentrated I didn't even hear the door open behind me.

"What are you doing out here? I feel like I haven't seen you all night" I heard a light laugh that dragged my eyes away from my phone and right to Colton.

"I've been around, my stupid phones not working" I almost yelled pushing my finger into my phone harder as if that would help.

"Everything ok?" He asked concerned taking a seat next to me.

"Everything's fine I'm just trying to get a car home" I explained trying to figure out my phone still.

"That's dangerous when you're drunk, Y/N" he said seriously.

"So is driving, Colton" I laughed.

"No, stop" he yelled taking the phone from my hand.

"Hey! That's my-" I started before he cut me off.

"Stop, I'm going to take you home so I know you're safe" he explained.

"No, you need to be here" I still grabbed at my phone.

"They'll be fine without me, you need me more end of story. Come on." He held a hand out to me.

Still being a little bitter I stood up on my own wobbly legs and attempted to move forward. Seeing how unsteady I was, Colton attempted to help hold me steady until finally just picking me up bridal style and taking me to his car.