With Everything I Have - Matthew Tkachuk

I turned over in my bed wondering why I had woken up in the first place

I turned over in my bed wondering why I had woken up in the first place. I sat up slightly before I heard what I assumed must have woken me up initially. I started getting out of bed to check on the noises I heard until I realized they were coming from outside. I heard rustling and as I went to check outside the window to make sure an animal didn't need help I noticed a shadow of a person walk past a big window in my living room.

I retreated panicking and pulling out my phone. I should have called 911. That would have been the smarter option, instead I called Matt.

"Hello?" I heard his voice dripping with sleep.

"Matt, I can't talk too loud someone is outside my house I saw the shadows and I can hear them." I rambled into the phone hoping he was catching what I was saying.

"Whoa, whoa Y/N get to a safe place I'm heading out the door. Is there a closet or a room with a lock you can-" he spoke with comfort before his words were cut off. Something came crashing through the window causing me to jump at the loud sound. I ran to the bathroom across the hall from me and locked the door.

"Matt?!" I asked pulling the phone back to my ear.

"Y/N are you ok?" He sounded worried.

"I'm in the bathroom with the door locked" I informed tucking myself into a ball.

"I'm just getting here, I don't see anyone. It's me coming in"

I heard the front door open and a knocking on the bathroom door.

"Y/N, its me" I heard Matt's voice. A wave of relief washed over me as I swung the door open and jumped into his arms. "Shh, shhh you're safe now. I'm here, ok?" His voice comforted as he rubbed my head and held me tightly.

"Matt, I saw them. I know there was someone out there" I screamed clinging to him.

"I know, I know sweetie. I texted 911 on the way over here. They should be here soon. I didn't see anyone when I got here" as he spoke the lights and sirens approached making me breathe deeply.

The police asked us questions and I did my best to give them as much information as possible. Matt never left my side. Holding my hand when they started shaking, putting a comforting arm around my shoulders when I got flustered for words or placing a calming hand on my knee when he noticed my leg bouncing from nervousness. Matt was a phenomenal friend. Unfortunately, he was only a friend.

My adoration for the hockey player went back close to when I first met him. The small crush I had grew with every encounter, there were days I feared my feelings were about to explode right out of my body. But, I couldn't do anything about it. I had to keep my secret, I couldn't lose him.