Waiting - Matthew Tkachuk

I finished putting on my shoes before running out to meet with the rest of the group

I finished putting on my shoes before running out to meet with the rest of the group. We had all decided to meet at my house and right now I was thinking that was a terrible idea. I thought if everyone were already at my house there was no way I could back out and I really wanted to.

I hated being scared, I hated horror movies...because I hated being scared and here I was, willingly going to a haunted house. I'm not sure if I had agreed to go because I wanted to live more and get out of my comfort zone...or if it was because Matt would be going.

Matthew Tkachuk, I had had the biggest crush on him for as long as I'd known him. I would never admit it to anyone, but I was crazy about the guy.

"About time" Matt lightly laughed nudging me as I joined the rest of the group.

"Sorry everyone I just-" I started before my friend cut me off.

"She hates  haunted houses" she announced to everyone.

"I'm working on getting out of my comfort zone" I shrugged.

"Including forgetting your jacket?" She rose an eyebrow at me.

"I'm fine I don't need one" I waved her off in a hurry to get back to talking to Matt.

"Ok then, in the cars you go" she lightly pushed me towards a car and a smile played on my lips as Matt approached behind me to get into the same vehicle.

"You have enough room?" Matt asked as he shifted slightly next to me.

"Yeah, no I'm good" I slightly smiled trying to hide my nerves.

Hiding my nerves got more difficult when he flashed me a smile and shifted so his arm rested behind me along the top of the seat. I tried to shake it off and remain calm.

"Have you ever been to a haunted house if you don't like them then?" He asked.

"It's not that I don't like them, I just don't like being scared sooo no, I've never been to one. That's mostly the reason why I wanted to. To see what it was like and step out of my comfort zone" I explained really trying to mean it.

"They're not that bad, you might like it" he nudged my shoulder with the arm he had behind my back.

When we arrived I was expecting to go straight into the haunted house, I was sorely mistaken. Our wait time was about an hour and I now understood why everyone wanted to get here as soon as possible. We talked laughed and joked with each other while we began our wait.

We were about forty-five minutes into our wait when I realized I had made a mistake and should have listened to my friend when she said to bring a jacket. I rubbed my arms and tried to warm myself without anyone knowing.

"Here" Matt said wrapping a jacket around my shoulders.

"Won't you be cold?" I asked concerned while putting my arms into the jacket.

"I wore an extra jacket, you always tend to get cold. I wanted to be prepared." He smiled zipping up the jacket for me.

"Thank you" I said almost breathlessly.

Before I could say anything else the worker called our group. I mentally cursed the worker for ending what felt like a moment with Matt. I had waited for what felt like ever to have an opening to see if I could make something happen with him and it seems like my only chance had just passed.

"Hey" Matt's voice stopped me as I went to join the rest of the group.

"Everything ok?" I turned my attention back to him.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I just wanted to tell you...you know if you get scared, you can hold my hand" he slightly smiled.

A smile spread across my face.

"That's very kind of you, I'll keep that in mind" I smiled wider turning away. "Hey Matt?" I questioned turning to walk towards him again.

"Yeah?" He looked at me questioningly.

"I'm scared" I grinned slipping my hand into his.

"I was hoping you would be" he gripped my hand tighter and pulled me to him.

"What do I do if I'm really...really scar-?" I started before his lips on mine cut me off.

"Umm...we lost the group" he chuckled after he pulled away and pressed his forehead against mine.

"Something tells me they'll wait for us" I laughed pulling our tickets out of my pocket.

"Speaking of waiting...I've waited forever to do that" he smiled taking my hands in his.

"You waited too long" I joked reaching up to kiss his cheek quickly.

"Way too long" he laughed starting to move and pull me with him. "Let's find the group and do this, I'll be with you the whole time"

"I think I'm gonna like this haunted house" I smirked.

"Let me take you to a late dinner after this?" He looked hopeful.

"I love that idea, I was so nervous I haven't eaten today" I smiled.

"Good...our first date" he beamed laying an arm around my shoulders.

"Took you long enough" I joked.

"I was just waiting for the perfect moment...and when I had the courage" he laughed.

Feel free to request ☺️