Showtime

The forest never felt so empty as it did in that moment. Tall trees soared high into the fading blue sky, yet no animal dared step across the branches. A red convertible sat inbetween some of the trees, leaves falling carelessly across the hood. A wind swept the leaves away, carrying them down a dusty path that Peter never wanted to walk down again. The cliffside seemed more appealing to him, but his limbs felt like lead, dragging him to the depths of his misery.

"We're finally free," Jessica Jones spoke softly, though her whispers sounded like an avalanche that would crush Peter underneath the sparkling puffs of sparks. She leaned against a tree, her black hair billowing around her face so only her sharp, feline eyes could be seen in the fading light. "Welcome home."

Peter wanted to lash out that this place wasn't his home. It could never be after the mistakes he had made. Peter held tightly to the memories of the past few minutes, feeling the dark energy pulse within him again. Peter needed to breath, but his lungs refused to take in any of the air, not the same air that Gwen had breathed moments ago nor the air that smelled vaguely of that same girls flesh.

"It's just you and me now. Standing alone," Jessica whispered as if Peter didn't already know. Peter didn't want to be in the same place as the poisonous girl behind him, but he didn't trust himself to walk away from the situation. There was so many questions he still had about what happened, about why he wasn't in control of himself. The memories were sharp and vivid, but Peter didn't know what he was doing when the moment for the act came. Peter was a hollow shell that was left on record, and now his mind was replaying, searching for some sort of detail that wouldn't be there. "The world is ours."

"No, it isn't," Peter spoke bluntly, looking up from his red soaked hands. He stared up at the horizon, watching the sun fill the sky with a blood red color as if Mother Nature was laughing at him. Peter closed his hands into fists, what used to be a cheerful day became the ending of a terrible nightmare. The sun once shined above the land, glowing brightly for children to play and work to be accomplished, but now it was setting, killing itself so that the moon could have a turn making the world suffer in their dreams.

"Get in the car," Jessica said in a warning tone, as if she could know what was happening in his mind. Jessica stepped towards the car, her own red hands blurring into the background of the car door causing a disorienting effect to throw Jessica off balance for a few seconds. After every single kill, Jessica couldn't stand the emptiness that came with it. When two heartbeats slowly became one, the music of life no longer seemed enjoyable, instead falling into something sinister, posed for attack. Jessica hated the dizziness in her mind and the churning in her gut, like the blood on her hands was shoving her body in a blender.

"This isn't finished," Peter stood up to his full height, growing black against the ruby red landscape. He turned his head back, the shadows crossing his features until his brown eyes were lit up by a mercury colored light, diluting them into something malicious. Jessica stepped back, an intense pressure holding her down until she felt like void darkness animated.

"What?" Jessica choked out, confused about what Peter meant or what he was going to do. Peter looked like a wild animal, unpredictable with instincts that told them to destroy. Jessica knew that look, Peter's body turning, his dark form given a ghostly outline, his eyes still glowing.

"Even though the kid's dead, I'm still seeing red. I'm just a shell of her form, that's in an innocent shed," Peter spoke quickly as if the words were some sort of poison that needed to be removed for his safety. Except, Peter was least concerned about his well being, images of a dead girl dancing around graves in his head.

"She lived a good life, and she gave it to you," Jessica retorted, knowing that Gwen Stacy had a wonderful existence that she freely gave up to save Peter from corruption. Jessica had to admit that the blonde girl had courage, or maybe she was just suicidal but didn't want to be responsible. Either way, Jessica knew that Peter shouldn't feel the need for revenge, it wasn't his fault.