A Long Day

Peter walked through the living room quietly and slowly, his head hung low as his puffy eyes trailed the floor below him. He wore a baggy t shirt and sweat pants that just made him feel comfortable.

"Hey, Peter, what's wrong?" Tony asked concerned as he drank his late night coffee by the counter. Only a few Avengers were still up, most of them having already gone to bed. But Tony was still up, probably waiting for Peter.

"It's just been a long day, Mr. Stark," Peter assured Tony quietly as he made himself a sandwich. After patrols, Peter's metabolism required a lot of food to continue running. So, after patrols Peter would usually come fix himself some food.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" Tony asked, knowing that sometimes Peter had rough days. But Tony had never seen Peter so exhausted, just plain tired without much emotions running across his usually hyperactive face.

"I- I was too late. Again. And I couldn't save him from that guy. And I definitely couldn't have saved her, even if I had tried. I really did try saving the guy from himself, but he just... And I- I don't even know, Mr. Stark," Peter replied, wiping the oncoming tears that raced down his face as he remembered the incident.

"It was just like any other time, the wife or girlfriend wanted to believe that her husband or boyfriend loved her even if he kept abusing her. I tried to take her away, but she just argued and squealed just like everyone else. It was simple," Peter said his voice sounding a bit laboured. "But he pulled out a gun, and just shot her. I was still holding her as she went limp, her eyes still being open in surprise.

"I got the gun away from the man, the cops took him away. They took the wife to wherever she was supposed to go, and I thought it was all over. Then, there kid, a small boy about six or seven, runs around from the hallway with a crayon picture of Spider-Man in his hands. I watched as his eyes lost their innocence, and he finally discovered the reality of the situation. I had to hold him when he started crying. But I still had her blood on me," Peter said, his head falling into his arms as he starred sobbing. The guilt washed over his heart in waves making Peter want to vomit.

Before Peter knew it, he had arms wrapped around him, holding him as he sobbed into the person's shoulders. Peter was finally getting a hug from Tony.

"This is nice," Peter muttered quietly, as Tony just laughed, rubbing circles around Peter's back.