But How?

"Wait... What? But you were... you were dead," Clint said, slowly standing up in sheer shock. He thought Peter Parker was dead, Peter Parker was supposed to be dead, right? He had died, hadn't he? Then why was Peter laying in the grass in front of him?

"He is dead. Your Peter Parker is dead, I'm not that Peter Parker anymore. I think changed, I'm different, and I can't go back, I can't come back to life," The man said, standing up as the Avengers approached, their confusion giving away to their shock. Clint stood back with them, looking at Peter like he was a fragile piece of glass, ready to break at any moment.

"But... How?" Tony said, his hand going forwards to touch Peter, to make sure he wasn't a ghost, or that this wasn't a dream. But the man just grabbed Tony's wrist when it was inches away from the man's face.

"HYDRA kidnapped Peter, tortured him until everything that made him Peter was gone. I was the one to escape, but by then everyone knew Peter was dead. I couldn't keep up a charade that I was who I was before HYDRA, because I'm not," The man said, twisting Tony's arm to the ground.

"But... your still Peter, right?" Clint said confused as to what was going on. How could this not be Peter, whoever this was, they were still Peter, right?

"I'm the Spider, ex HYDRA agent, a violent, reckless killer. Whatever makes Peter who he is, is not me anymore. That hopeful, optimistic angel from Heaven couldn't survive the flames of Hell and I came out," Peter (the Spider?) said, wiping off his clothes, looking up to meet Tony's eyes. Peter's eyes were the same color, but they were different. They weren't bright or cheerful, almost the exact opposite.

"I still don't get it," Clint said, grabbing Peter's wrist as he tried to walk away. Peter had a quick reaction, flipping Clint onto his back, Peter's foot on Clint's neck. The agent just coughed, surprised by the quick reaction.

"Stupid Spidey sense barely works anymore. Sorry about that, just a reaction," Peter rolled his eyes, pulling Clint up. Clint rubbed his neck, staring at Peter in confusion. The man didn't say anything else, still trying to escape the mess he got himself in.

"Peter died that day, and you survived. Is that right?" Natasha asked, understanding perfectly well what was happening. Natasha could remember the day that Natalie died, long ago when she came into the Red Room. Sure, Natasha had tried to pretend to be her before, but she could never go back to who she was. Someone that was as good as dead in her mind.

"As always, the Black Widow is correct, HYDRA warned me about you," Peter muttered the last part, his eyes drifting back to a different day, a different person. If only the man could go back and rescue his former friend.

"Why were you here then? At your own... grave?" Tony said quietly, finally speaking up to speak to his former almost son that he was sure had died. And in a way, Tony knew that Peter was died, even if he wished it never happened.

"Because I wish I was still Peter. I wish that I could go back and rescue that... child. That stupid child who thought they could see the best in everyone. Even when he was kidnapped, he tried to be optimistic. And that's what got him killed," The man said, coming to the edge of the group, the Avengers parting ways for him. The man slowly walked up the path, before Tony called out again.

"You claim your not Peter, and maybe you aren't. But I still care about you." The man froze, his eyes trailing to Peter's grave as the words raced through his head. He didn't understand, Tony cared about Peter, not him. Right?