Love Goes A Long Way

It was the little things that Peter loved. Tony ruffling his hair, Steve patting his back, Clint playing games with him, Thor telling him stories, Bruce engaging in conversations with him, and Natasha calling him Baby Spider.

When the newer Avengers came back from a mission, Natasha and Tony were the ones to explain that Peter was fragile. No one was allowed to yell around him, or belittle him. No one was even allowed to sarcastically point out the mistakes. They basically had to treat him like he was, again, fragile.

And Peter was the perfect child. Lingering fears of his life going back made him want to be seen as perfect in the eyes of the Avengers. He did anything they asked before they could even finish the sentence. It was in dearing, but they hated the reason behind Peter's kindness.

"Mr-Mr. Stark?" Peter said one day in the lab. Peter was getting better so he didn't constantly need reassurance, but every now and again Tony had to tell the kid he was doing alright. But Peter wasn't working on anything at the moment.

"Yeah, Underoos," Tony said showing off one of the nicknames he was allowed to call Peter. There were certain ones that Peter just couldn't be called without him going into a panic attack.

"I- I broke it," Peter said, his voice trembling. That made Tony look up from his project to face Peter who was in the doorway, holding shards of something Tony couldn't identify what it because it was so far gone.

"What is that, Pete?" Tony asked quietly, not trying to upset the boy any further.

"It's th-the phone y-you got me," Peter said, cursing himself for stuttering. He put the broken pieces on the table and just stared at it, tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

"And why'd you break it, buddy?" Tony asked staring at the broken phone before him. It was so shattered that Tony was worried as to why Peter broke it.

"She wouldn't leave me alone! I don't want it to be my fault, Mr. Stark!" Peter said starting to sob forcing Tony to wrap the teenager into a hug. Tony was curious as to what Peter was talking about, but decided not to push it any further.

****

Tony took Peter to watch a movie, and Peter was soon asleep. Tony quietly got untangled from the boy, and walked to his computer, trying to retrieve the messages, phone calls, and e-mails from Peter's phone to figure out who "she" was. What he discovered horrified him, so much he called a meeting in the conference room.

"What's this about, Stark?" Natasha said sitting down in one of the chairs right beside Steve. All the Avengers, new and old, were sitting in that conference room waiting on Tony to begin.

"Peter came to me in the lab today and said he broke his phone. And when I say broke, I mean it was unrecognizable. He said some mysterious she was just texting him and that he didn't want it to be his fault. I got him to go to sleep, and checked out the messages were," Tony said before popping the images on his computer to a projector.

May:

Get back here you idiot

When I text you better respond you asshole

Peter Benjamin Parker, what would your parents say about this? They would be disappointed in you.

And your Uncle would absolutely hate you. I just know it.

If you don't come back here, I'll kill myself, and it'll be all your fault

And that was just the recent messages. Lines of lines of hate, all directed at Peter's weaknesses. His need to make everyone happy, his fear of being a disappointment, the fact he wanted to keep everyone alive, how his entire family died (Because May no longer counted), all his weaknesses.

"Okay, here's the plan, someone say the Russian words to turn me into the Winter Soldier, I kill May, and we just blame it on mind control," Bucky said, completely serious.

"I speak Russian perfectly," Natasha offered also dead serious. She didn't even need the mind control factor to kill May.

"No, but this is enough proof to turn May into the nearest jail. And I will personally see to it that she ends up on the Raft," Tony said, hoping that Bucky and Natasha didn't kill someone. Though if push came to shove, he would just turn a "blind eye" to the proceedings.

And that's exactly what happened. They all went to court, hoping to May behind bars, or at least lose all custody to Peter. At the moment, May technically had over half of said custody.

Peter was fidgety the entire time, and cried a lot more often than usual. Any little thing that reminded Peter of May and he would just break down. And his nightmares were a lot worse than usual too. But Tony didn't mind staying up with the teen and hugging him whenever he started crying. And that's what made Peter cry harder, because Tony cared. Tony loved him. Tony even hugged Peter, and the boy couldn't remember the last time May hugged him.

And everything happened, May was sent to jail (and with some persuasion from SHIELD she had to do some time at the Raft) and Tony was the one that gained custody.

And Peter slowly got better. He never fully healed, but he got better.