Safe and Sound

Peter held the trembling form of Harley close to him. Peter was watching the blood drip from his friend's, almost brother's, wound, not caring about his own wounds. Peter had given Harley the Spider-Man suit, hoping that the warmth would help him fall asleep.

"Peter... you're hurt... and... trembling," Harley managed to get out, trying his hardest to stay awake. Peter was being stupid, trying to keep Harley safe at his own life's cost.

"I'm f-fine, H-Harley. Y-you should t-try to g-get s-some sleep," Peter said softly, pressing his hands on Harley's wound, waiting for Harley's parents to come and get him.

"Stop it... Dad and Pops... love you just as much... as me and... uh... Morgan," Harley said, knowing how Peter was feeling. He kept thinking that Tony and Steve loved Harley and Morgan more, and that they didn't care about him as much.

"Shh... we c-can talk about th-this later, when your s-safe and sound, o-okay?" Peter said quietly, hoping that Harley would just go to sleep. Peter, out as Spider-Man, rescued Harley after he got shot. But Peter was injured as well, meaning he couldn't get Harley back to the tower. They just had to wait it out for Steve and Tony, hoping the night winds wouldn't get them.

"Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound," Peter started singing softly, hoping it would lull Harley to sleep. Peter looked up at the sky to see the last of the golden rays be eaten up by the moon's silver mist. It was going to be a long night.

"Hold on to this lullaby, even when the music's gone. Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound," Peter assured Harley as the wind started whipping at him, because he only wore an undershirt and boxers under his suit. But that didn't matter, because Harley was warm, and his breathing was evening out.

Peter softly hummed the melody, hoping the last bits would get Harley to finally sleep. And as much as Harley tried to fight it, sleep was tugging at him to come, and Harley couldn't fight it for much longer. And that was Peter's plan all along.

"Just close your eyes. You'll be alright. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound," Peter said, thankful that Harley was finally sleeping. Hopefully, Steve and Tony were on there way. Peter kept humming the melody until they were there, able to help Harley, because Peter couldn't. He wasn't sure how much longer he had.

***

"There over here!" Someone yelled, waking Harley up. It was dizzy at first, his head wrapping around where he was and what happened. Harley could see Peter in front of him with blue lips and pale skin. Peter's eyes were closed, but his mouth was still pressed together like he fell asleep humming something.

Someone warm grabbed onto Harley, lifting him closer to their chest. But Harley realized he was warm, looking at his hands, he saw the Spider-Man gloves. That idiot, he didn't...

"Harley, are you awake?" That person holding him asked. Harley could slightly turn his head to see his Papa, Steve Rodgers. Harley only hummed in reply, not ready to talk yet. Sleep still hung around him before finally taking him again.

"We need to warm Peter up now. He may not survive much longer," Tony said, picking up his child who started trembling as moans escaped his lips. He folded in on himself, trying to take Tony's heat.

"Well, now that we know they're safe, we better go make sure they're healthy," Steve said, walking to the helicarrair with Tony behind him, cradling Peter like a baby.