The Day My Hero Died

You are so gonna hate me after this...

***

It was a night, long ago to Peter, when he was still a small, helpless child. He always imagined his Uncle Ben as hero, in his eyes he was faster than the Flash, more powerful than Wonder Woman, and smarter than Batman. His uncle Ben was just as epic as Superman, if not more.

But the young Peter saw his Uncle Ben that one night, the night that a hero died. Because his Uncle Ben was no longer a hero, he was just a drunk man who cheated on Peter's aunt way to many times.

Peter grew up with this idea that heroes would always fall into being corrupt, that they would never stay good. Heroes were only heroes when the masks were on, and the people couldn't see through their fantasies of being saved.

And that day, many years later, was no different.

The Avengers lay unconscious from intoxication in the living room. Every single one of them. His heroes, looking like they were dead in the trashy room that would take weeks to clean.

Peter felt his anger, his disappointment, rise in his throat as he grabbed a empty beer bottle, thrusting it across the room to where it shattered to bits in the floor from impact. The Avengers stumbled awake at the very loud noise, trying to remember who and where they were. 

"Heroes always fall from the light. And one day I will, because history will repeat itself yet again. But I am sick and tired of trusting heroes and seeing behind the mask," Peter said, his angry voice knocking a sense of disappointment into the Avengers, but confusion was also there.

"Get your sorry butts up and clean this up before someone gets hurt. I'm going to the store to get food and water bottles, you'll need it. Exercise, pizza, and liquids are the best things for a hangover. Trust me, I already know this," Peter said, stepping over the broken bottles and various objects to grab his coat. "My uncle was an alcoholic and a cheater, so if you cheated last night, tell me now."

No one said anything, not when Peter had such a hard tone. Not one of disbelief, one of where he thought he could avoid this, but it didn't happen that way. Thankfully, none of them cheated.

"Good, this better be cleaned up," Peter said, his glare softening to tears as the elevator doors closed. A son escaped his lips as he fell to his knees, rocking back and forth as he realized what he had witnessed. But he had himself cleaned up when the elevator doors opened.

****

The doors opened to a clean living room. Peter's anger had ebbed away, leaving a more tired feeling. Peter was just disappointed in the Avengers, and himself for thinking they would be better that his Uncle Ben when it came to this.

"Eat and drink up, I'll find a movie," Peter said in a monotone voice as he set the bags down, ignoring the Avengers as they tried to talk to him, getting to the TV.

"Peter, please, we are sorry-" Tony started, thinking that maybe he could get to Peter. Tony was the only one to recover from the hangover completely, years of experience teaching him tips and tricks.

"I believed you were better, and I was wrong. There's nothing to apologize for, it was all my fault," Peter said, his eyes glistening with tears as he stated at Tony, knowing about his past, hoping Tony had moved past it all. "Let's move on."