Grave Mistakes

Peter Parker wore a black trench coat as he gripped the stupid metal part of his umbrella. The nail dug into his skin until he felt pain in his inner knuckles and red blood dripped into the puddles that were being created by the pouring rain.

Peter looked around the dark world where very few people were actually walking. The rain clouded the vision of everyone meaning cars were also few and far between. The sky cackled with thunder, and occasionally lit up the streets in a bright gold, but overall it was the pounding, constant rain that made everyone afraid.

Peter turned into a place that seemed to absorb the darkness and magnify it. But Peter didn't care as he stepped into the shadow of a weeping willow tree. It seemed so right as Peter knelt down to the stone that jutted almost naturally.

Peter sighed as he wiped the hair that stuck to his forehead away. Water dripped from his eyes, some of it rain, others tears. The teen let a small whimper escape his lips as something murky began to throb in his chest. The air was humid but it was fine for someone wanting air he didn't get.

The stone read about Ben Parker, the older brother of the young hero. Ben was Peter's entire world until young Peter turned thirteen. He made a stupid mistake, resulting in his brother getting shot instead of him. That's when Peter was told by his brother, who knew of his ambitions to be a vigilante, told him to do just that. Use his powers for good. Something better.

Peter always came to his brother's grave. Always laid a single rose on the grave, because his brother's favorite color was blue. He always talked to his brother about recent events. Peter didn't care if it was rain or shine, he always did those things. And today was no different.

"Spider-Man, two years and still kicking. I can't believe I get to make a difference in the world. Just like you always wanted. How's mom and dad? Aunt May is fine, ever so often I'll find her crying about you and mom, but that's become more of a thing in the past. She knows she has to take care of me, leaving less time to dwell on what-ifs. But I still have them, those what-ifs. I mean, if I wasn't so stupid that night, you would be here. Probably being a better hero than me. Well, I have to go. The Avengers probably think I'm doing something bad. But even with you gone, your still my conscious," Peter spoke quietly as if not to disturb the serenity of the place. Peter stood up, dusting off his knees. He gripped the umbrella again before walking back into the rain.

"Goodbye, Eve," Peter said passing the angel statue that guarded the cemetery and kept all the souls at peace. Peter had been here so often, he named the angel. Peter wanted to give her some sort of recognition for keeping his brother safe and protected.

****

The Avengers did think Peter was doing something bad. He stumbled out of his room with a trench coat on, and refused to tell them where he was going. Even when he was told not to go out in the bad weather, Peter still went. That spoke volumes to the Avengers who assumed the very worst.

Sending Clint and Natasha, the residential super spies to follow Peter, the pairing followed Peter with skills that could only come from SHIELD. And with the trust Peter had for them, Spidey Sense didn't bat an eye at their actions.

But they wished they hadn't when Peter turned into a cemetery instead of an alleyway. They watched the teen go to a grave under a weeping willow, and just kneel there for a few moments. They heard the teen talk to his dead family member, even asking about his supposedly dead parents. Everything seemed to add up.

The disappearances, how he never talked about his past, how he flinched at the mention of family. He lost his parents and apparently someone that he blamed their death on him for. It finally made sense, but the pairing didn't like how they got the information.

Retreating back to the tower, they made it before Peter did. Explaining what they had seen, a few Avengers looked disappointed in themselves. But not Tony. No, he was mad. He had told them Peter would never do anything that terrible, and that his privacy was his. But they didn't listen, and now the guilt was there's.

When Peter came home, he tried to smile and laugh. But the guilt hung heavy in the air, something no one could escape. It was a tension that came from clashing emotions, grief to guilt to anger to confusion. All there, all being felt, yet none being discussed. That increased the tension seeing as no one spoke.

But the day went by, and the tension filtered out. Days went by.