Once

Going into the room, Tony was ready for whatever was to come. He knew what he was going to say and do, and hopefully he would be able to convince Peter to allow Tony and Pepper to adopt him.

But seeing Peter, he forgot all about whatever he was going to say. He only had one chance to convince Peter, and he didn't need prepared lines and acts to do it. He needed to speak from his heart, and just hope that was enough.

Peter was sitting on a bay window, looking out onto the busy streets of Queens. Whatever was out there totally captivated his attention, even to the point he didn't realize Tony came in. Or maybe he just didn't want to realize Tony was there. Either way, Tony knew he had to be the first one to talk.

"Look, Underoos, we didn't know about your past. We should've known, but we didn't. And that's on us," Tony started. "I know that we were hard on you. We should have remembered your age. And even if you were an adult, this isn't the best behavior we should be exhibiting. I'm sorry."

It was silent. Completely silent. Not even the noise of Queens was able to penetrate the closed window. A barrier that created a bubble of noiselessness.

"I forgive you," Peter said breaking through the bubble. And just like that, the noise of Queens once again filled the room. Curse words and car horns, people singing and shouting, every scrap of noise Queens could make was the soundtrack of that closet sized room.

"Thanks, kid. Now, would you like to be adopted by me and Pepper?" Tony asked the boy. Tony wasn't sure what reaction he was expecting, but a hug was definitely not it. But Tony got a hug anyways from Peter, and he took that as a yes.

The End