Opposing Teams

Steve Rodgers used to be a good, American father. Even though he lived in New York City, he still gave his son a patriotic childhood. But soon, Steve couldn't be around that much because of SHIELD, and soon, Peter had his own secret; being Spider-Man when his father was away.

Soon, Peter's secret and Steve's patriotic beliefs drove the two heroes apart, and they fell on opposite teams of the Civil War, and while Peter knew he was going against his father, Steve had no idea that the new figure on Tony's team was his son.

But the difference between what side they chose stemmed from more than just Steve's opinion on the Accords. Though Peter normally was able to work through his own emotional issues, school was becoming harder and Peter wanted his Papa more than ever. That neediness was driving them apart even more because Peter was getting it from a different figure, one that was treating Peter like a son, and Peter chose that man's side when the Civil War popped up.

Steve started off fighting Tony, before maneuvering past Iron Man with his best friend, Bucky Barnes. Everything was going as planned until Steve was facing against Spider-Man, the two staring eye to eye for a few seconds, neither one moving or knowing what to say.

"Move at of the way, boy, this isn't your fight," Captain America said, not actually wanting a fight. Just because Steve was all in it for his cause, his nature didn't just want to start a fight. Steve wanted to avoid all of this, but he was more than willing to go through with it all.

"It is when you try and affect my city, it is when you try to do something wrong, it is when civilians lives are at stake," Spider-Man responded confidently, seemingly unfazed by talking to the Captain America. Most villains still wavered when they first laid eyes on the hero, but this minor vigilante wasn't even scared.

"I'm not sure what Stark told you, but I'm not doing anything right. I'm protecting my friend," Steve said, tightening the arm bands around his shield. He didn't want to sigh, but Steve really needed to go and he didn't have time to waste it on this minor hero.

"And I'm protecting civilians," Spider-Man said, his voice dripping with anger, a rage that took the Captain aback. There was more in that voice than just someone getting caught up in the Accords,  this was something more personal, though Steve wasn't going to figure it out.

"Move out of the way, or we'll have to fight," Captain America said, his voice filled with his own anger. Why did this kid want to fight? Why couldn't he see what cause Captain America was fighting for? Why was there one more person on an already long list of people who wanted Steve in jail?

"We already were," Spider-Man said bitterly before running forwards, leaving Steve with those three words that made him question even more who this kid was. But Spider-Man gave him no chance to figure it out as they began their battle, each own having his own reasons to fight.

It was a long, painful fight before Captain America could subdue his opponent, and even then, it was only with a little help from one of the Captain's allies. Captain America stood over the Spider-Man, claiming victory over the NYC vigilante.

"Don't expect me to still be at home when this is over with," Spider-Man said, gaining the attention of Captain America. But that second of uncertainty from Steve lead to Spider-Man flipping the Captain on to the ground, and running off before Steve could attack again.

***

It was a hard fought battle, a physical and legal one that allowed the Rogues, what the Avengers that sided with Steve were called, to return. The first thing Steve did with his new but limited freedom, however, was check up on the last thing Spider-Man had said to him.

Steve slowly opened the door to his apartment, turning on the light as he did. Steve entered quietly, hoping to hear music that his son would listen to when doing homework. But that was in vain because Steve could only hear the faint voices of his neighbors. Walking deeper inside, Steve looked around foe any traces of his son, but the entire apartment was completely clean, the only items of Peter left behind was the photographs on the walls of him. Steve even walked into his sons room, but everything was silent and clean in there, the only left out part being a sheet of lined paper on the desk, a pencil across it.

Dear Papa,

I told you I wouldn't be here when you came back. It's nothing against you, I promise, I just need someone there for me. I'm not complaining, I love you being a hero and helping people, but you never had time for me, and life was getting rough for me. I never knew if you were still alive, I never had help on my homework, I had a few bullies who wouldn't stop messing with me, and even though I want to be a hero, and help people, my injuries were growing to hard to handle for me alone. I'm somewhere safe, I promise, and I hope I'll be back soon enough. Enjoy your own life for awhile, you don't have to worry about me. I'm sorry for leaving, I'm sorry I can't stay with you, and I'm sorry I can't deal with all of this alone. I love you, forever and always.

Love, Peter

Steve sighed, dropping the paper back on the desk, letting the pencil roll over the entire desk onto the floor below. Steve looked up at a picture of Peter on the wall above the desk, a smile on his face in the photograph. Steve touched the frame, trying but failing to remember when it was taken. Steve only realized then how much of Peter's life he had missed, how much his son had to learn on his own after all this years.

But where is he? Steve thought, walking out of the room, and then out of his apartment. He was supposed to be at the compound, under a sort of house arrest there until further notice. Steve accepted the punishment, knowing the worst part would be the tension between the Rogues and the Avengers.

Steve rode there, his thoughts filled with worries for his son. Steve felt that his son was warranted in his right to runaway, but Steve wished he had been there for his son. If only he had paid more attention to the most important person in his life, instead of trying to fight the government.

Once Steve arrived, he could feel the tension radiated off the building, but he could hear laughter in the air. Steve smiled to himself walking deeper inside before finding his fellow heroes, all except Iron Man and, of course, Spider-Man.

The laughter filled the air again, and even Natasha had a small smile on her face as the melodic sound came through the room. Steve, still with worries for his son, asked, "Who is that? Where's Tony? Don't we have a meeting?"

"Tony has a new ward his training, there in his lab. We've met the kid, he's so... happy and optimistic, " Natasha said, slightly looking up from the book she was reading while gesturing towards the rooms behind the couch she was sitting on. Steve walked past them, finding himself in the lab of the famous and infamous Tony Stark.

Seeing his laughing son with Tony was something Steve hadn't, but should have, expected. Steve realized that his son had finally met the person Steve knew Peter was exactly like, and that they had bonded in a way Peter and Steve never could. Steve realized that just like the civil war, they would be on opposing sides.