Tension

Part Two of Opposing Sides, not really plot based, just their first angsty talk.

***

"How's life treating you?" Peter whispered barely audible as everyone else filed out of the room. They were in a meeting with all the Avengers and Rogues to discuss life moving forward, and afterwards, Nick Fury said that Peter and Steve had to stay for analysis on their head to head battle in Germany. Fury said he'd be back in a moment, leaving some thick tension in the room as the two halves of one family looked at each other. 

"Stuck in here, trying to make amends with everyone," Steve said evenly, sucking in a breath. He wasn't quite sure what to say, and he was even less sure on how he should be feeling. Angry at Peter for leaving, or disappointed in himself for pushing Peter to that point? "Speaking of making amends, I'm... sorry."

"Why are you sorry? I left you with no guarantee that I'd be coming back! I didn't even tell you where I was going!! How could I have been so stupid!?!" Peter said, trying to hold back gears as he shifted the blame on himself. It was something Peter had unfortunately learned to do. "I didn't even tell you I was Spider-Man..."

"Petey! It's all fine! You... you had a right to what you did. I haven't been a good parent in a long while, and, although I think I'm right, I shouldn't have put you in that situation with the civil war. Even if you weren't Spider-Man, you'd still be affected," Steve said with a sigh, glad he could make some sense with all his wild thoughts. Steve hoped that something he was saying would get through to Peter, anything that would make this situation right. Steve didn't know if he could live with the guilt of the circumstances that led to this discussion, and not done anything to remedy it.

"The Civil War... That's what the press is calling it, anyways. Spider-Man has gotten major buzz all of the world because of it, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing just yet," Peter looked away, as if he was talking about what needed to be said but he didn't want to say it. Peter still wasn't sure how his Papa felt about the whole vigilante thing. "I just wanted to be like you, y'know. A shining hero that protected civilians and put bad people away. Someone that everyone could look up to, a sign of inspiration for people to be kind, generous, and respectable. I... thought I was doing it for awhile. I thought I could one day be an Avenger, helping on a larger scale. But for now... I really thought I was helping."

"I read all the newspapers and saw the segments on TV, Spider-Man is a great hero to New York! A few people don't like you, but no one can deny that you've done some good for New York," Steve exclaimed with a proud smile, a grin that Peter had wanted to see for the longest time. Peter ran forwards, almost knocking Steve over in a hug. The older man kept his balance though, squeezing his son in return.

"I love you, Papa."

" I love you, too, Baby Bear."