What A Father Does

Tony sat in a chair at Avengers Compound, staring out at the glistening lake. The outdoors was peaceful, and the inside untouched. Even though it was his lab, Tony knew it was also Peter's, and he didn't want to mess anything up.

Clint slammed into the room, his face red in anger. He slammed the door so hard things started to shake, but Tony didn't really sense that. When Clint started yelling at him,it was like Clint was underwater. But Tony still heard what Clint had to say, and he still saw the other survivors looking to see what Tony's reaction would be.

"Locking yourself in the lab, huh? You still have family, Stark!! You have Pepper, and a baby on the way!! And yet you're here doing nothing whatsoever!!! I lost my entire family and you lost... " Clint stopped as he saw something strange in the room. "No... one."

There was dirty sneakers next to Tony's clean dress shoes. There was an extra desk where a textbook laid open with highlighter marks on it. The fridge had certificates on it, but none of them were addressed to Tony. There was a backpack at the bottom of own of the desk's legs. And their was an entire wall of pictures.

There was one of a teenage boy with his face painted like a dog, behind the boy being some sort of festival. There was one of that boy and Tony working on something, the picture being taken from behind. There was one of Pepper and Tony kissing while the teenager was in front of them taking a selfie. There was on of the teenager sleeping against a sleeping Tony on the couch. Their was one of Tony, Pepper, Happy, and that teenager playing cards. There was one of Pepper and that Teenager explaining something together in front of a board of directors. There was even one of Tony and that boy side by side, holding a document upside down while giving each other bunny ears.

"FRIDAY, finish the video that was playing when we came in," Clint said perplexed. Who was these teenager, that Tony was apparently fond of?

The holograph appeared of that teenage boy working at the desk with the textbook on it. Tony was at his desk, drinking on chocolate milk and working on the Spider-Man suit. With further inspection the teen was working on the spider logo that would go on the suit.

"Okay, Mr. Stark, I have good news," The boy said a smile growing on his face as he set the spider logo down. The boy walked up to the backpack, leaning down to pull a piece of paper out. He didn't take anything out of the real backpack, but whenever this took place, he did take that paper out. "I was accepted into MIT!! Aunt May is even letting me go even though I should be too young for this."

"What? I'm proud of you, Underoos!" Tony said looking up, a smile widening on his face. He took the paper, giving it a good look before grabbing a frame from a box across the room. He put the document in the frame and handed it to the teenager. "Keep this somewhere special."

"I know exactly where!" Peter said turning to the wall with all the pictures in it. He stood up tall so he could place the holographic document where the real document was. Standing back, Peter admired it on the wall. "The first of many pictures to go on that wall."

"Great idea, Underoos. Now I know where to put your embarrassing photos at," Tony smirked evilly as the teen paled.

"You don't have any... right?" The teen said getting scared. He was pale and looking around as if the pictures were around him. Of course, they weren't.

"Relax, Underoos," Tony said letting his smirk fade away. The teenager relaxed, sighing as color came back to his features. Then Tony spoke again, "I don't keep them here."

The teenager just sighed as he placed his face in his arms as he muttered how dead he was going to be. Tony just laughed as they continued working. Then the holographs faded.

"That was the boy on Titan," Nebula said breaking the silence that laid over the remaining Avengers, who were just staring at the wall.

"His name was Peter Parker. He was a smart boy, as you can tell. He was fifteen. He was Spider-Man long before I found him. Then, I did, I used him, but I already apologized for that. He became my personal intern, a hard worker that kid was. He became like a son to me. One of the only people I trusted, loved, and showed any sort of affection to. Rhodney didn't even know about him," Tony said answering the questions they wouldn't voice themselves.

"I am sorry, Mr. Barton. We both lost a child that day, and I'm not even sure I'm feeling something right now. I can't describe it, I'm not sure anyone can," Tony said with a sigh. "But I'm not going to stop fighting to bring him home. He's going to graduate, run Stark Industries, find a girl or guy he loves, I'll probably force him to get a kid so I can be a grandfather. And I know that you're not going to stop fighting for your children. So let's do this. Whatever it takes."

Clint looked at Tony, realizing their was more in his heart than iron. He loved a kid, cared for his wife, had a good friend, and treated someone like a brother. Despite being on opposite sides of the Civil War, Tony was by all rights a good father, a wonderful husband, an incredible friend, and was the perfect brother. Tony Stark wasn't the man of iron any more than Clint was an archer. They were both so much more than that, something better.

"Whatever it takes."