Bucky Barnes- The Snap (c)

You had hoped you would never have to come face to face with Thanos, it was a war you knew that would be near impossible to win but your hope had been futile. As he snapped his fingers and disappeared from view, you were completely lost. Even though you were rather pessimistic about the outcome of this fight, you had thought someone would pull something out of the air and be able to save the universe. There was nothing you could do now. You felt useless. Half of the universe were about to evaporate. It could be you, you could vanish without anyway to stop it or it could be the person by your side. There wasn't any control or reason to who vanished, it would just happen.

"We lost," you whispered, turning towards Steve. "We actually lost."

Your knees felt weak at the thought of the hell that would come. No one knew how quickly it would work. Whether there'd be time and people would slowly vanish or if those you could see were the lucky ones who stayed alive and those whom had vanished already had.

Before Steve could say anything, the chill filled air was broken by your boyfriend's voice as he passed through the overgrown greenery. You peered through the trees and bushes to see Bucky who looked equally terrified and shocked as most people in the forest did.

"Buck," you smiled, happy to see him but the joyful expression quickly dropped.

Bucky stumbled through the overgrowth, his body slowly falling into dust on the floor as he panickily looked at you, not certain what was going on.

"Y/N," he whispered as he fell into your arms, barely there.

You fell to the ground, holding the last remnants of him in your arms, desperately cradling him. If you could do anything to keep him in your arms, you would have but it all happened too quickly, and you didn't know what to do to save him.

"Bucky," you cried, as dust fell through your fingers and you were left on your knees staring into dirt and a pile of dust that was once the man you loved.

Sobs escaped your throat as you desperately grasped at the dirt before you, wanting to feel him, wanting him to come back but you knew he wasn't going to. Steve bent down beside you, tears in his eyes, but wrapped an arm around you to comfort you.

"It's going to be okay," he croaked, knowing his words were lies.

"He's gone," you sobbed, letting your tears mix with the dirt and dust.

"I know," he whispered. "But we've got to go, the world is about to get a heck of a lot worse."

Steve pulled you onto your feet, forcing you to put on a brave face and leave your grief until later, no matter how much your heart longed for Bucky.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by