Jean Grey- Left Out: Part 1 (h)

You'd always felt somewhat left out by your sister.

She was a mutant and you were not.

She had a love life and you did not.

She was the older one and thus had more life experience, whilst you did not.

Jean never quite understood how to be the whole caring older sister.

When you were going through a rough time, she would do everything she could to avoid you and just leave you to it.

In actuality, what you would prefer, is your sister's advice and how to make something even remotely better for yourself.

It was difficult for you to feel as if you fitted in -after all, you were the only non-mutant in a school full of mutants.

Not that any of the students had ever held that against you. It was only Jean that attempted to not bump into you.

As you were sat outside on the grass, someone came and sat down next to you.

"Y/N?" the voice questioned.

You turned to face them, then realising that it was Jean's boyfriend Scott.

"I just wanted to check if you were okay. I haven't seen you around for a while, you've not been trying to see Jean either."

"That's nothing new then. Apart from the fact that this time, I am realising the fact that she doesn't want to see me and not wasting my breath on asking where she is anymore."

Scott's face turned to confusion. "What do you mean?"

You scoffed and shook your head. "You're seriously telling me that you've not realised my own sister tries to not talk to me around here? It is as if she is ashamed to have a non-mutant as a sister."

You could tell that Scott didn't quite know what to say in response to you.

"You do not know how many times I have wished and wished to get some form of mutation, just so my sister would want me in her life and yet – it never happens."

When Scott didn't respond for the second time, you sighed and got up.

"I like you Scott. You are a nice guy but you could do better than my sister."

You then began to walk off, not thinking anymore of what you told him due to you meaning every word you said.

It wasn't a difficult thing to say that Scott could do better, and he could, but if he was happy then that was the important thing.

Only an hour or so after you had spoken with your sister's boyfriend, your sister stormed into your room looking quite angry.

"Did you seriously tell Scott that he could do better than me?!"

You rolled your eyes, placing your book down on your bed. "Oh, hi Jean, nice to see you too. Remember me? You know, your sister."

She glared at you. "Cut the crap Y/N. Why did you say that to Scott?"

"I love how that is the only part of what I said to him you pay attention to. Just ignore the rest of it about how I have been feeling and me basically knowing you don't care for me."

"Don't be so stupid."

You stood up from your bed and walked over to her. "Do not call me stupid Jean," you stated with annoyance. "Do you not think I realise you walking in the opposite direction when you see me? Or that I don't hear you asking the other kids here whether or not I am in the room so you know not to go there?"

"I've never done that."

You sighed with the realisation that you had a lost cause of a relationship with Jean. "Fine. Yes, I did say that to Scott, because frankly he can do better. However, if he is happy with you, then who am I to break that up?"

"Stay away from him Y/N."

"He was the one who sat by me in the first place and asked me how I was."

Jean crossed her arms and shook her head, giving you a disappointed look.

"You know, it gets to a certain point where my sister's boyfriend cares about my wellbeing and talks to me more than my own sister who is supposed to be there for me."

"I have been there for you Y/N."

"When?! When was the last time that you gave a damn about me?"

Jean was speechless, trying to find the words but not actually saying anything to you.

"I've given up trying with you," you told her as you shook your head. "Get out and leave me to my reading."

~*~

Written by Hannah.