Bucky Barnes- First Words (c)

You sat with your daughter waiting for your husband to come home. James had been on a mission for the last week and he had missed a large step in your daughter's development. You were upset that he wasn't there but luckily you recorded the moment so you were able to show him when he got home.

As soon as you heard the key go into the look, you sprung to your feet carrying your daughter to the front door to welcome your husband home.

The door swung open and there stood your slightly tattered husband. As soon as he saw the two of you a lopsided smile appeared on his face. He dropped his bag onto the floor wrapping his arms around you being careful not to crush the child in your arms.

"I've missed you doll," James smiled, pressing his lips to yours, he turned his attention to the brunette little girl that was a spitting image of him, he kissed her head, "I've missed you too munchkin."

"I've missed you too James," you smiled.

You raised your daughters hand to make her wave, "you missed him too didn't you honey?"

The little girl furrowed her eyebrows as she focused on getting the words out of her mouth.

"Dad."

James' eyes became wide as he looked down to his daughter.

"Was that-"

"It wasn't her first word no. Her first word was dad though, she just said it for the first time three days ago," you said slightly sadly.

His expression dropped as he kissed her head once again.

"I'm so proud of you. And at least you now have clarified which one of us you love the most," he smiled weakly.

"Don't start Mr Barnes. She struggled over attempting to say Steve for half an hour but couldn't get past the first syllable," you stated.

"She'd never pick her uncle Steve over her Father," he smiled.

"Let's go get you cleaned up, and I can show you the recording of her first word. I made sure to record it seen as I thought she was going to say Steve and needed that for the record," you grinned.

Your husband feigned a hurt expression, following you up to your shared en-suite, so that you could leave your daughter on her play mat on your bedroom floor and still be able to see her through the doorway.

James sat onto the closed toilet lid so that you could get the first aid kit to clean up the small gash on his cheek and matching one along his collar bone.

You set up the video to hand to him on your phone. Whilst he watched it, you began to dab the cuts with rubbing alcohol. He winced, causing you to laugh slightly as you cleaned up the two cuts covering the only on his collar bone in a dressing and putting a plaster over the one on his cheek.

Leaning down you kissed the dressing before kissing the plaster.

"There you go all better," you smiled softly.

His eyes were tearful as he finished the video again.

"She's growing up so fast," he whispered.

"That's not necessarily a bad thing James. But I don't want her to grow up either, but it's nice that she is getting older nevertheless," you smiled softly kissing him.

He pulled you into his arms so that you could sit on his lap.

"Well that does mean that we can start thinking about another baby," he grinned.

"You'd want more kids?" You asked.

"She may be a handful but I love her. And I'd like for her to have a sibling. I may have been an only child, but I had Steve and he was basically a brother. I just feel like we are meant to have a big family," he smiled.

You let out a soft laugh kissing him once again.

"Then I guess we will be having more children, at least then hopefully one of them will say mum before dad," you grinned.

"Don't hold your breath doll."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.