Bruce Banner- Work (c)

Days became harder with every one that passed. It wasn't that for you it was overly the case but your boyfriend Bruce, was working hard in his laboratory every day and all of the work he was doing did seem rather futile as practically nothing had come from it. You knew he loved his work but it was taking a toll on to not see any results come from his hard work.

Another work day had come to an end, leading to Bruce trailing into your home, falling onto the sofa with an undignified sigh as he rubbed his face with his hands. You looked at him intently, wanting to try and imagine what had put him in such a state and how you could possibly help.

You moved over to sit next to him on the sofa, moving to rest a hand onto his shoulder gently. You expected to feel him relax under your touch as he would usually do, but instead he pulled away giving your hand a swat. It confused you slightly as he never seemed to dislike any form of contact between the two of you, but he was rather abrupt about such a thing. You shifted in your seat so you were as far away as possible from him whilst staying on the same seat, rather confused as to what had made him act in such a way.

Bruce seemed annoyed and out of the ordinary. Quickly his expression fell back to the normal caring and gentle one that you had fallen in love with. His eyes were still tired but apologetic as well.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered rubbing his eyes again. "I didn't mean to be snappy."

He moved his hand to rest on your knee although the action was hesitant and uncertain. You tried to smile gently to reassure him, resting your hand over the top of his.

"It's okay. You've had a pretty terrible day by the looks of things," you smiled softly. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Just a lot of work," he sighed. "And it seems pointless. We've tried everything we can but nothing seems to work. I'm sure at some point we will be able to do so, and we will keep trying; I just feel so useless in not being able to get it done."

You moved slightly to wrap an arm around him so that you could hold him close. You enjoyed being close to him and you hoped that it would comfort him too.

"It'll be okay, darling. You are doing everything you can and that is all that can be expected. You are going to do this in the end," you smiled warmly, leaning in to press a kiss to his lips tenderly.

The two of you couldn't help but smile as he thanked you for the help you were providing him with attempting to relax from his work. 

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by