Clint Barton- Milquetoast (c)

Having been married for about eighteen months, the two of you decided it would be for the best to take the next step. Your little home was perfect for the two of you, but it did seem too big of a place for the both of you, it certainly needed a few more pairs of feet running around.

Although children should have really been your next step it wasn't right for the two of you just yet. Seen as it took three tries for you to keep a plant alive for more than a week, you decided a child probably was too much responsibility so you needed to ease into the role. Rather than a child you were both more than happy to consider a pet.

When you went to the local shelter you didn't realise it would result in such a debacle though. You knew it would be a hard choice but after two hours there, it took longer than you had first anticipated.

Both of you had found the 'perfect' pet for the pair of you, but neither of you agreed.

"But Y/N. Look at his little fluffy face," Clint said as though he was talking to a child, ruffling the puppy's fur.

"The kitten has a little fluffy face too," you stated stroking the bundle of fur in your arms.

Clint was stood in the puppy pen opposite you whilst you were stood in with the kittens. He was crouched down with a Labrador puppy leaning up onto his knee, whilst you stood holding a tiny Lynx Point Siamese kitten.

"Look how happy he is to see me. Your cat couldn't care less whether you were there or not," Clint stated.

"You can't hear him over your dog's yapping but he is purring. Think about staying at home on a cold evening cuddled up with our kitten," you smiled attempting to encourage Clint to the cat side.

"We could also do that without puppy," he said not budging.

The poor woman working there was still stood by your side, slightly amused by your bickering.

"Or you could simply get them both?" She offered. "They both need homes and there shouldn't be any problems with both, including not having an early divorce.

Both of your heads snapped up and looked at each other. Your eyes became hopeful. It wasn't that you didn't like the puppy, he was adorable however you had always preferred cats, hence why you were adamant to get the kitten. Clint let out a sigh.

"I guess we can get both," he said defeated.

The woman and her colleague took the two fur balls from you both to take them through for you to sign all the paperwork. Clint exited the enclosure, before taking your hand and helping you out of yours.

"So what are you naming your puppy?" You asked as you walked towards the office.

"I'm naming the puppy?"

"Of course. You name the puppy. I name the kitten and our future children."

He rolled his eyes, "I see how it is."

"So? What are you naming him?"

"Lucky."

"Why?"

"Because he's lucky to be coming home to owners who love him," he grinned wrapping an arm around your waist, "What are you naming your cat?"

"Milquetoast."

He furrowed his eyebrows.

"It means timid," you added.

"You were completely prepared to be taking a cat home today weren't you?" He frowned.

"Of course. Clearly I put more thought into the name than simply 'Lucky'."

He shook his head at you, pressing his lips to your temple.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.