♡Monotonous | G.W.

(A/n)

Not an x reader, sry :)
I just had nothing to do and suddenly got in the mood

_____
_____
_____

The incessant, thin rain still fell over the city - it had been like this since the early hours of the day, nothing unexpected as a result of consecutive summer days of excessive heat. Gerard walked down the streets with his hands shoved inside his jacket's pockets and face hidden by its collar, not caring much if he was going to get wet because of the rain; some of his white strands were already gluing to his forehead. His eyes averted from the granite stone pavement to the goth styled church by him. It wasn't something he could reach a conclusion about, but he had certain hatred towards it. Maybe it was how it promised everyone could be happy in the presence of God? Well, he couldn't.

It angered him how people always justified his sad and bad moods as lack of God in his heart - it just wasn't it, God had nothing to do with the mess going on inside his head. Bitterly twisting his mouth, he gazed at the cemetery down the street. The gates were obviously closed, but it wasn't really something to care about. He could easily climb the wall and get inside it like he usually did, sometimes alone, sometimes with his friends.

The angel statues silently greeted Gerard as he walked by them. It would have been weird for anyone who judged it, still, he could find some comfort in the place. No one would judge him and there was no difference between all of them - they were all dead, in a way or another.

He swallowed thickly as gazing at an specific statue, letting a smirk play over his lips after some seconds. Raindrops now soaked the ends of his hair strands, running down his face in a way some of the drops got stuck on his eyelashes then fell in his eye after some blinks, making him blink repeatedly.

It wasn't really clear if the statue represented a male or a female even though it had a long hair; Gerard didn't understand much about it, but he had a impression it wasn't really supposed to have a gender. The angel's arms were raised high while their hands faced the sky. What really intrigued Gerard was their expression - he couldn't identify if the angel was giving up and indulging of the graces of the lord or if they recognized their superiority over every being there and the other statues in the cemetery since it was taller, not to mention more detailed. Gerard thought their mood changed from day from day; today, it was more like mocking his miserable existence and begging God to have pity for his poor soul. Drops of water trailed down the imposing marble sculpture until falling on the ground to be absorbed by the soil, giving an impression they were even fake crying as imploring.

Letting out a breathy chuckle, Gerard laughed and kicked the ground, asking himself how could he be so stupid to the point of giving life to some idiot statue - it was basically proving the rumors of who said he had mental problems. In his words, doing things like this was an attempt of turning his boring life into something more exciting, making everything poetic. Still, it was never poetic, it happened/existed and he turned it into poetry. All that blood was never once beautiful. It was just red.

Gerard's phone started to ring, breaking the dramatic mood he put himself into. An annoyed sigh left his mouth when he saw his brother's name on the screen - he pressed the red phone symbol and swiped it left in the same moment, he knew the other would know he was alright if he rejected the call right away, anyways. His eyes flickered over the numbers showing the time and was surprised to notice it was some minutes past six pm already; he didn't even notice he had been gone for three hours by then, but it was hard to tell with the clouds covering the sky for the whole day and they didn't seem to be wanting to go away so soon.

Climbing out of the cemetery was a bit more difficult, he almost fell when his foot slipped, causing a fit of curses to spill from his lips until he was a few feet away from the stones wall, wiping his hands clean on the more than wet black jacket. He decided to listen to his body's plead and headed to the first diner he could find, which was thankfully a good one. At least the food was food, that's it. The waitress, who leaned back against the counter with her arms folded over her chest, bitterly raised an eyebrow at him when he walked past the tables and decided to sit in one of the booths, wetting the cushion under him.

"A dark coffee. Pure." Gerard forced a sweet smile at her once she approached, intertwining his fingers after placing his hands over the table. He did it because he knew it'd piss her off, proceeding to remove his jacket and leave it beside him as soon as she walked away muttering sour affirming words.

While he sipped at the hot drink, all he wished was that something extraordinary would happen in that goddamn city. Something that pulled them away from the boring routine, gave them a purpose to live or added some color to it. All he could see was gray, a gray place full of robots who rarely left their houses if it wasn't for work, educational or religious purposes - the latter included festivals promoted by the local church. Sometimes it was just to show the rest of the city how 'well' the family/person was doing.

He wondered if they'd notice their deplorable state at some point, but he also thought some people were aware of it, just didn't want anything to change, fearing to be pulled away from their comfort zone. The monotonousness almost made him wish he lived in a city like the ones in horror movies - where the most unbelievable things happened, however, the rest of the country never found out about it. Gerard cracked an ironical laugh to himself, mentally, mockingly, asking for God to hear his pleads for something exciting happening in that damn city.

Maybe it would change. Maybe people would decide to make everyone's lives more interesting. Meanwhile, he'd just watch.

____________