Chapter 13

Rebecca's POV

I was numb under his intense gaze and gentle touch. My heart was doing tricks with me, she was racing, skipping beats, fluttering and causing my stomach to turn into knots. I was speechless as he leaned even closer, sending chills down my spine.

“You care for a lot of people..” he muttered, his voice low.

“Yes,” I admitted, my salty tears falling on his hand that was cupping my cheek.

“I just wonder..” he started. “Could you care for a sinner?” he whispered, his eyes narrowing and burning through me.

My heart jumped inside my chest, telling me that this is a proof. He still has a good side. I could see it now. He still has and I can see that he wants to bring it back. His black eyes said so many things to me that I couldn't understand, but his will to bring the good side back was obvious.

“Everyone's a sinner.” I murmured, my voice weak.

“Not like me.” he leaned back a little, his thumb grazing my cheekbone, warming my heart.

“Do you still...care?” I asked weakly, gaining a frown from him.

“Care,” he repeated as he thought of the word. “I have to feel this way since...” he trailed off, and the shield in his eyes is back on.

He pulled away his hand and let it fall down to his side, sending a hint of disappointment inside of me. What is going on with me?

“We should be get going. It's late.” he said flatly, making me furrow my brows.

How can he be so different now? Different as if the way he was last day? This was all so confusing. One moment he's gentle, he's opening himself really slowly, and now he's...dark? I couldn't study him, no one could.

“Okay.” I sighed, taking one last glance at the river and whispering “rest in peace, Michael” before following him back to that damn house.

We walked inside, both of us completely soaked and I heard something like an evil laugh coming from upstairs. I instictively grabbed his forearm while my eyes were fixed on the stairs, quietly telling him to stay put.

“Did you hear that?” I whispered scared.

I felt his gaze on me so I turned my head to look at him. He was staring at me intensively before his eyes landed on my hand that was holding his forearm and back up to my face.

“Hear what?” he asked, keeping his voice low.

“I-I heard a laugh.” I blurbed.

He looked at the stairs and shook his head slightly. He looked back at me with narrowing eyes, as if trying to hide something.

“It was nothing.” he murmured and look back down to my grip on his forearm again.

I pulled my hand away. “S-sorry.” I said quickly and looked away nervously.

I saw him from the corner of my eye smirking, making my stomach to turn. I tried to ignore it as I followed him upstairs, each step and a cracking sound, each step bringing me closer to that creepy laugh. I was sure I heard it, but if it was someone up there, the guy in front of me would've killed him already.

I still didn't know his name wich was really frustrating. I sighed when we approached our room door's and I looked at him to find him looking back at me, his stare mysterious.

“What?” I asked, raising my shoulders.

He shook his head. “Be quiet.” he demanded and opened the door, letting himself in and shutting it behind him.