you'll be okay

Cold, as you turn off the lightsAnd memories start floating aroundYou're doubting yourselfAnd you're tired of not being strong

And memories start floating around
You're doubting yourself
And you're tired of not being strong

Wally sighed as he swept up the studio in the late hours of the summer night. He shut the lights out as he finished cleaning the empty rooms and departments. It was rather chilly for a mid august evening.

Being a jittery, somewhat paranoid man, he sometimes swore he heard movement and voices coming from the lower levels. Wally wanted to quit this lousy job so badly, but he needed the money. Although Joey was known to be a strange man with even stranger goals for the company, he paid his employees rather handsomely compared to other jobs. He was tired, both emotionally and physically.

It hurts to be all on your own
But you'll just have to wait
Cause time's running fast
And it calms you to know it won't last

You hummed as you worked hard in the bitter chill of the summer night. Mr. Drew would be steamed if he knew you left without finishing those frames for previewing tomorrow. You figured you were the only one crazy enough to be working this late. Time flew by fast as your hands ached from the cold and overworking. Despite the eeriness of the dead studio, it felt calming to you. It was nice to have a break from the daytime chaos.

It's easy to say
It'll all be okay
But that's always the way
It goes
So slow down
And you'll be okay

Wally's last stop before the lobby, was the animation department. Just as he approached the doorway, he heard singing and the scratching of a fountain pen on coarse stock papers. He tried to creep around the corner, but the old squeaky floor gave him away. 

Torn and lost once again
You start to believe it won't end
And still you're alone
With the fear that you're forever unknown

You quickly whirled around and spotted him flat on his face on the floor in the doorway. You couldn't help the laughter that escaped your throat.

"Hey Wally, didn't know you were still here. Are you okay?" You asked helping him up.

"Oh, hey (Y/n). Yeah I'm alright. So whatcha doin here so late?" he responded.

"Had some work to finish so Drew doesn't flip his desk again" You were blunt.

"Yeah, last time he did that, I was the one who had to clean it up" Wally nodded.

You talked for a while before parting ways for the night.

You cannot understand
Why you're always the one that gets hurt
Life's unfair but it pulls you back
in when you're almost gone

The next morning, you walked in wearing a hooded jacket. Everyone gave you weird looks as it was ninety-two degrees inside the building. You shuffled past them and their stares to get to your desk. Susie nudged Henry to go talk to you.

"Hey kiddo, kinda warm today isn't it? What's with the jacket?" he nervously asked.

"I don't wanna talk about it" you said without making eye contact.

Your bandaged hands peeked through the sleeves of your baggy jacket. Bloodstains peppered them. Henry went wide-eyed before initiating his father-like authority.

"(Y/n)! Take your ass down to the infirmary this instant!" he yelled, startling everyone.

You huffed but did as told because Henry was on the verge of dragging you there himself. You went to stand up from your chair, but instantly fell at his feet.

"Kid!?" you heard before blacking out.

It's easy to say
It'll all be okay
But that's always the way
It goes
So slow down
And you'll be okay.

Wally overheard the commotion and personally carried you downstairs. The staff nurse carefully removed your jacket. Wally wanted to puke at what he saw. Bloody cuts and bruises went down your arms like sleeve tattoos. Your left eye was swollen shut and it was so discolored that it was almost safe to assume there were at least some fracturing to the area. What sick fuck had the balls to do this to such a kind sweet person like you?!

You woke up about an hour later. The first thing you see is Wally gripping his hat so tight that his knuckles were white.

"Wally?" you groaned.

"Hey, you're awake!" He said gleefully as he dropped his hat.

You wanted to cry as you knew what was coming next.

"Did your boyfriend do this? I remember you said that he had a nasty temper, especially when he got drunk"

"Ex. I told him I was leaving because I had had enough of his nonstop drunk rages. This, was his response to my statement before throwing me and all my bags out to the curb"

"Where did you stay last night?" he asked, gently taking your hand.

"In my car, about a block away from here, beside the gas station"

"Tonight, you're coming to my place. There's plenty of room, we can get you some stuff you need to make it more comfortable-"

"Thank you Wally, you really are too sweet" you smiled as you leaned in to kiss his cheek.

"Aww, anythin' for you doll~" he blushed, rubbing the back of his head.