tender remains

It was eleven o'clock in the evening, closing time for the studio

It was eleven o'clock in the evening, closing time for the studio. It was also way past bedtime for one little wolf pup. Boris was what you would call a 'night howler'. He loved staying up super late, despite being so young and needing proper rest.

The young pup fussed as you carried him to his crib once again.

"Look bubba, I know you wanna play, but it's super late and Mommy wants to go to bed sometime tonight" You said placing him down.

He whimpered and whined. Oh how he hated bedtime. You sat in the rocking chair beside the crib.

"Alright, how about we try something new? I'll tell you a story, but afterwards it's sleepy time for you mister" you said compromising with him.

He seemed to agree with your terms.  

There was once a girl who dreamed

Of
Angels and Demons and all in between
You sang softly as he listened to the tale you had.

Lived in a castle of

stone like her family
Dwelt in the courtyard and
danced with her memories
The story was of your past. As a child your father, Joey, made this old studio seem like it has a huge castle. Your godfather, Henry, fueled your imagination with the cartoons. Those memories seemed so bleak as you pondered out at the ink ridden, rotting walls.

Of

Love & enchantment,
Golden the sun when,
High in the sky then,
She closed her eyes in the moment.

Your eyes closed blissfully at the nostalgic reverie. The feeling of warm summer sunlight as you played on the swing set Joey lovingly made for you. 

There was once a girl who dreamed

Of
Angels and Demons and all in between

Everything changed when the studio went bankrupt. Your father's desperate struggle to keep the business alive drove him mad. Before you knew it, angels were singing and demons were dancing in every room and down every corridor.

Kept her mouth shut and

her dreams like her family
Tempered her memories
and bowed to her betters
Like

You never dared to confess to seeing him murder every employee that walked in the door. You swore secrecy with Henry. But even now as you cared for your sweet little ink-born wolf, you wonder if it was for the best.

Lowly, spare me

Memories, escape me
Lowly, use me
Memories, escape me

Sometimes you wished you could feign ignorance to everything back then. If you could live with only the happiest days, echoing through the creaky halls. If you did that, everything would change. Boris would not be in your life to comfort you in this skeleton of a home.

There was once a girl who dreamed

Of
Angels and Demons and all in between
Tired her body and weary her mind
Gentle her memory of family behind...

Boris watched curiously as you unknowingly cried. He watched as your haunting melody caused tears to flow so freely. He climbed out and up onto your lap without you even noticing.

Love & enchantment,

Golden the sun when,
High in the sky then,
She closed her eyes in the moment

You wished you knew what truly happened to your father. He disappeared the night he sent Henry the letter and never returned.

Love & enchantment,

Golden the sun when,
High in the sky then,
She closed her eyes in the moment

You felt an itty bitty paw against your cheek. Looking down in your lap, the teeny wolf's tail swished as he cleaned your face. You smiled. You didn't deserve the love of this pure innocent child. You picked him up and walked down the hall into your room. Laying him down beside you on the queen sized mattress.

"Alright bud, looks like you're with me tonight" you smiled as he burrowed himself into your chest under the blankets.

All he let out was a small hushed sound that was the mixture of a squeak and a bark.

"I love you too baby"