not your barbie girl

Not your barbie girl, I'm livin' in my own worldI ain't plastic, call me classicYou can't touch me there, you can't touch my bodyUnless I say so, ain't your barbie, noYou were the golden definition of beauty

I ain't plastic, call me classic
You can't touch me there, you can't touch my body
Unless I say so, ain't your barbie, no
You were the golden definition of beauty. The girl every guy wanted and every girl wanted to be. One male in particular was very interested in you. He was your best friend Mug.

Pull up to that dream house, god gate heels down
How much do you like this?
Welcome to my bedroom, hallway go down
Say he's got permission
You were a classy woman with wealth, and you busted your ass to earn that wealth. Men came from all around to woo the lady made of moolah, but you were anything but interested.

Mug however was your business partner and had been since you were just a street rat in hand-me-down rags. So naturally it was common to see him roaming around the estate.

I can take myself on a dinner date
Buy myself diamonds and the champagne
Order five courses, then chocolate cake, uh-huh
What irritated you most was that every man thought that you need a burly meat puppet neanderthal to maintain your status quo. Mug knew better he was all you needed and you just barely need him anymore.

Actin' like I care when I want a man (I want a man)
Actin' like I care but I don't, and? (but I don't care)
I do my own thing, yeah watch me dance, uh-huh
You would admit though, things tended to get a bit lonely. However you weren't satisfied picking up some random shmuck off the streets in order to obtain a bit of pleasure and company.

Not your barbie girl, I'm livin' in my own world
I ain't plastic, call me classic
You can't touch me there, you can't touch my body
Unless I say so, ain't your barbie, no
Some years went by and things got heated. Everyone just saw you as this uppity, silicone filled, bitch. You couldn't sleep without someone throwing a brick through the windows.

I'm my own boss, I'm remindin' you of it
Somethin' that you just can't get
Words don't tempt me, tryin' to break me
In these heels I ain't tryin' to trip, no
You sat on the steps in the foyer. Suitcase in one hand and phone in the other. You dialed the number to your last resort.

"Yo you've reached Mugman. What can I do for you today?"

"Mug I need to ask a favor of you please" you croaked trying not to cry.

"Sure doll! What do you need?"

"Out of here! I can't take it anymore! I can't even sleep without being attacked!"

I can take myself on a dinner date
Buy myself diamonds and the champagne
Order five courses, then chocolate cake, uh-huh
"Calm down (y/n), here's what we're going to do"

*Time skip sponsored by the barbershop quartet*

You stood at the end of the drive behind the now burning house. You wore a basic graphic t-shirt with jeans and sneakers. Your once long hair was cut short. No jewelry or makeup in sight as you got in with nothing but your purse and wallet.

Actin' like I care when I want a man (I want a man)
Actin' like I care but I don't, and? (but I don't care)
I do my own thing, yeah watch me dance, uh-huh
You took a long shaky breath. You threw your entire fortune up in flames just to run away and start over.

Not your barbie girl, I'm livin' in my own world
I ain't plastic, call me classic
You can't touch me there, you can't touch my body
Unless I say so, ain't your barbie, no
*A few months later*
You sat comfortably in the front room of Mug's small cabin. It was outside of the city limits where nobody really goes.

Mug just walked in the door with groceries. He looked over at your deflated state.

"Y'know, it's hard to believe that such a beauty was hidden under all that cosmetic crap. I almost forgot what you really looked like without it" he chucked sitting next to you after putting everything away.

Did you forget I'm real?
Oh, I'm breathing, touch me, feel
Oh, say I'm your toy to play with, wanna put me in a box
You ain't gonna talk to me like that, you better stop
"Who are you trying to fool? I'm just the street rat you found starving a long time ago" you said burying your face in the pillow.

"Sweetie, you're fooling yourself. I remember clearly how I found you. I liked you back then too. I think somewhere along the road, you forgot who you are"

"And you're point is?"

Not your barbie girl, I'm livin' in my own world
I ain't plastic, call me classic
You can't touch me there, you can't touch my body
Unless I say so, ain't your barbie,
Mug kissed your shoulder as he hugged you. You tossed the pillow away and returned the much needed embrace.

"I've been here through your entire journey, and not once has my opinion of you changed. I loved you then, and I love you now, ask me ten years from now and I will still love you" he said softly as he leaned in to kiss you deeply.

Ain't your barbie, no

For once, you were truly happy as you savoured every precious second of that kiss before going in for another and another one after that.