secret garden sleepsong

Loo-li, loo-li, loo-li, lai-layLoo-li, loo-li, loo-li lai-lay

Loo-li, loo-li, loo-li lai-lay

You crooned a soft lullaby to the young cuplings in the swing. Elder Kettle asked for you to watch over the two sick infants while he went to the next town over to find medicine. They fussed restlessly, feverish cries filled the air as they flailed in discomfort.

Lay down your head and I'll sing you a lullaby
Back to the years of loo-li lai-lay
And I'll sing you to sleep and I'll sing you tomorrow
Bless you with love for the road that you go

You sprinkled a handful of herbs into the ever full liquid under their lids, hoping it will bring even a smidge more comfort to them. After a few moments, their cries settled down to little hiccups. Taking them into your arms, you sat in the rocking chair and fed them their bottles.

May you sail far to the far fields of fortune
With diamonds and pearls at your head and your feet
And may you need never to banish misfortune
May you find kindness in all that you meet

Their fever was beginning to die out as you gave them their baths.

"Mama!" they babbled as they happily splashed about.

"You two are too sweet, but I'm not your mama"

You smiled sadly, you knew their mother. It was tragic that she died so young.

May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay

Soon enough, Elder Kettle returned and administered the herbal mixture under their lidded domes.

That was a long time ago. Now they have grown up to be fine young men.

May you bring love and may you bring happiness
Be loved in return to the end of your days
Now fall off to sleep, I'm not meaning to keep you
I'll just sit for a while and sing loo-li, lai-lay

You sat in front of the fireplace. A nasty cold ravaged your petite body. You had little strength to do much of anything. You lived alone in the old cottage that Elder Kettle left for you in his passing. Pictures of the boys from over the years, cluttered the walls.

May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay, loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay

There was a sharp knock on the door before it opened. Two figures peered around the corner. Without your glasses, all you saw was a blur of red and blue. It didn't take rocket science to know who those blurs were.

"Boys come inside, it's too cold to leave the door open" you chuckled hoarsely.

"Hey mom, Percy told us that you were feeling under the weather" Mug said coming closer.

"It's just a cold, nothing too serious. It's certainly nothing to get your straws in a twist over" you said wheezing.

Cup placed a hand against your forehead.

"Mom, you're burning up!"

Loo-li, loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay
Loo-li, loo-li, loo-li lai-lay
"It's a good thing we picked up those herb packets" Mug said opening his bag.

Cup started heating the kettle for a cup of tea, adding various herbs into your cup. The kettle whistled, telling him that the water was ready. He prepared the tea just as you preferred and brought it to you.

"Here mom, drink up. These are the best herbs in the market, guaranteed to knock out that cold in no time!" He grinned giving a thumbs up.

Loo-li, loo-li, loo-li lai-lay
You three sat in comfort as you drank the herbal remedy. A memory came to mind as you couldn't help but smile and laugh a bit.

"What's so funny?" Cup asked.

"Nothing, just remembering the days I spent caring for you two. You were both stubborn about taking medicine, snotty, vomit spewing, soiled from head to toe" you listed looking into your tea.

Loo-li, lai-lay

"But there's not a day that I would ever want to take back. Never a moment that I would trade. Grandpa would've said the same too" you smiled as you hugged them while looking at the old family portrait.