let me love you

I used to believeWe were burnin' on the edge of somethin' beautifulSomethin' beautifulYou and Felix had grown up together

I used to believe
We were burnin' on the edge of somethin' beautiful
Somethin' beautiful
You and Felix had grown up together. You did everything together. The same clubs, sports, routines, classes. Felix thought everything between you was perfect. One day however, it changed.

When you graduated, you went in a completely different direction. You both took the same course in archeology, but instead on getting a career to back it up, you became a librarian. The truth was that no one wanted a girl out there like Laura Croft. They said that it just sent off the wrong kind of message.

Selling a dream
Smoke and mirrors keep us waitin' on a miracle
On a miracle
You typed away, categorizing the new books. One caught your attention. It was by Felix. Not only was he a famous archeologist, he was a damn good author too. Your co-worker caught you admiring the hand drawn cover art.

"Ah you read his books too? Felix is really fascinating isn't he?" She beamed.

"No I've never read any of his novels. I didn't know that dork could stop playing in the dirt long enough to write one!" You laughed.

" Dork! How dare you!? He is brilliant! Don't you dare insult him! " she was very offended.

"Oh sorry! It's just that he and I actually grew up together. We've lived right next door to each other since we were babies"

"Are you serious!? You know him personally!?" She shrieked.

" Yeah. The boy I know was always covered in more dirt than one could wash out in a single bath! He would dig holes in the backyard, looking for anything from old pop caps to off colored stones. He'd put them in a box and leave it in my mailbox as a gift" you smiled at the memory.

"Aww! How sweet! Did you keep any of it?"

"Yeah. I took the colored stones an made really cool mosaics with 'em. What I couldn't repurpose, I kept in the box on my desk at home"

Say, go through the darkest of days
Heaven's a heartbreak away
Never let you go, never let me down
You finished your shift and went home. Just as you sat down, the phone rang.

"Hello (l/n) residence, (y/n) speaking, can I help you?"

"Wow, so formal!" You heard a male's voice chuckle.

"Hey Felix! How's my favorite dirt ball?" You giggled back taunting him.

"Oh haha, aren't you just a comedian! Where'd you get that from a joke book in the kids section?" He rolled his eyes.

"Jokes aside, how are you? It's been a while"

I've been....alright. You? "

"You hesitated. What's wrong? So help me God, if you say nothing. I will climb through this phone just to strangle you" you warned.