Parasomnia Part 4

I expected to see only Stiles' jeep. Maybe a few trees, some leaves, grass, a few rocks probably. And all of those things I did see, however, there was one unexpected addition. Scott was standing there, leaning against his green dirt bike with his arms crossed. My heart sunk into my butt, leaving me feeling a little nervous about what Scott was about to say to us. Luckily, he didn't look mad.

"Find anything?" he asked.

"Nope," Stiles and I blurted quickly.

"I-I fell in a hole," Liam chuckled nervously, hoping to distract Scott while Stiles and I got into the jeep. It didn't work because Scott walked up to Stiles' window to talk to us.

"It was the bridge where his sister died, wasn't it?"

"Yes, it was. Very embarrassing," Stiles snapped, trying to start the jeep. "So we're gunna leave now." It sputtered for a second then died, and Stiles closed his eyes and sighed. "Son of a bitch. Liam, just do me a favor." Stiles got out of the jeep, so I did, too, ready to help him fix the jeep. "Get in the car, turn on the ignition when I say."

Liam got into the front seat as I helped Stiles lift the hood. Scott gently eased it down against the windshield so we could work. I just knew this was going to lead to a lecture from Scott disguised as a conversation. Scott waited behind us, his hands in his pockets patiently. It reminded me of his dad. I hated it.

I distracted myself by shoving my hands where Stiles told me to.

"Guys," Scott said.

"Be with you in a sec," Stiles replied. "Try it." Again, the engine sputtered and died. Stiles leaned forward onto his elbows, hanging his head between them.

"Guys," Scott repeated.

Stiles head jerked up. "Yes, okay, we followed him out here. What do you want me to say, that we're stalkers? Huh? That we're crazy? Totally paranoid?"

"None of which is new information," I added, needing to defend ourselves, which was really just Stiles by the end of that. Unless I was totally paranoid now, too. Holy shit, was I Stiles?

Scott didn't answer us, the simple look on his face telling us exactly what he thought about this. To avoid that, we set back to work. Well, Stiles did. I pretended to.

"Now, you guys will at least try to give him the benefit of the doubt?" Scott asked, still patient. Stiles was not, though, as he reared his finger around to correct him.

"I give people the benefit of the doubt. I've given a lot of benefit to a lot of people." He quickly got back to work, wrenching whatever needed wrenching. Honestly, the inside of his jeep was so covered in duct tape that it seemed like duct tape was the only thing in here to even wrench.

"Like Derek." Stiles sighed in annoyance, already knowing where Scott was going with this. "Kira? Liam?"

"I was right about Peter," Stiles said.

"And Matt," I added. "He's been right about a lot of people, Scott. Why don't you see that?"

"I see it. I just think you're wrong about Theo," Scott answered.

"Try it again." The engine died again, and Stiles took a deep calming breath, which didn't last long. "You know, I bet you still think there's something about him that can be saved." Stiles was referring to Peter, who I had given up hope for a long time ago.

"Maybe," Scott said with a nod. Stiles groaned with frustration, hitting his jeep once lightly before diving back under the hood. Rising anger was coming off Stiles in increments of strong tastes that made my mouth water. I could tell something was about to blow up here and I felt powerless to stop it.