Currents Part 1

I stood with Stiles, Scott, and Melissa outside the hospital as Sheriff approached. I'd gotten a frantic call from Scott telling me to get down to the hospital, so I brought Stiles with me. So far, it didn't seem like a bad decision.

"Hang on, they were both in the car?" Sheriff asked.

"No, Dad, they're trying to tell you that it was two separate kidnappings, okay? Two doctors, both gone," Stiles explained.

"So, whose car is this?" Sheriff pointed to the car we were standing by, his face pinched in confusion. I didn't blame him. This whole Darach thing confused even me, and I actually knew about it.

"Dr. Hilyard, the on-call doctor," Melissa repeated slowly. "The E.R. attending is the one that never made it in." Stiles' fingers rubbed together by his mouth as he thought. He was wearing a blue jacket, his sleeves pushed up to his elbows, and dark grey jeans. If we weren't in this situation, I might've been inclined to take them off.

"Let me just focus on getting your story first, alright?" Sheriff muttered to Melissa, who nodded. "Kids, give us a second?"

I nodded and all three of us stepped away. It was fine because now we could talk about what we really needed to talk about.

"These are definitely sacrifices, right?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's one Deaton mentioned: Healers," Stiles informed, uncrossing his arms. I didn't like this one bit. If it was healers Darach was going after, Melissa might be on his hitlist. I didn't know a better healer than Melissa.

"What about Danny? He threw up Mistletoe in the hospital earlier," Scott said. "That's not a coincidence, and if he hadn't been with Ethan, he probably would've died. Danny's not a healer."

Stiles shrugged, shaking his head. He looked over Scott's shoulder at his dad and Melissa and frowned. "Can you hear that, babe?" Behind Scott, Sheriff was talking on the phone, looking confused, so I nodded and listened in, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"They found a body," I relayed. "It's the E.R. attending."

I stayed with Stiles that night after being commanded by Scott to go home. He and Isaac (who had been living with him since Derek kicked him out) were going to watch over Melissa through the night in case the Darach tried anything. I wanted to help, but he said they had it covered, so I stayed with Stiles instead.

It had been quite a night, and after the fun, I woke up practically sleeping on his back. But that's how it always was, though. For some reason, we always woke up in one of three positions. One: Him laying his head on me, two: him spooning me, or three—also the most common: me curled up so close to his back that I was almost on top of him. My arms would always be wrapped around him, holding him tightly. I don't think he minded. In fact, I think he liked it because every time we woke up in that position, he would he holding my arm against his chest like a child would a teddy bear.

Waking up next to Stiles was my favorite thing because I got the see the raw, uncut him. What everyone else saw was Stiles when he was trying, but first thing in the morning, trying was the last thing on his mind. And I was the only one besides Scott who knew what that looked like. And it was really beautiful.

"We have to get ready for school," I hummed, still cradled against his back. I tried to pull my arm away to move, but he held it tighter, moaning his displeasure. "Stiles, come on. We'll be late. You do this every morning."

"Yet you keep trying," he mumbled, making me laugh. I leaned up and flopped my body onto his, and he groaned unhappily. I started wailing You Are My Sunshine in a purposefully awful singing voice, but all he did was groan and hug his pillow around his ears.