Smoke and Mirrors Part 2

We all got out of the jeep when Braeden pulled up in the huge, white, and windowless van. Derek came up as well in his large four-door Toyota. Unfortunately, he had Peter with him. We all met somewhere between the three cars.

"We really bringing him?" Derek asked, gesturing to Liam.

I narrowed my eyes at Peter slightly. "Are we really bringing him?"

"We're bringing everyone that we can," Peter snarked back, giving me the same 'I don't like you' squint that I gave him. Ugh, what an arrogant asshole. "And considering Scott and Kira were taken the night before a full moon, we should probably get going."

"What's that mean?" Malia asked.

"If Kate took Scott back to the same temple she took Derek, how do we know she's not planning on doing the same thing to him?"

I sighed, my eyes closing as I understood what this meant. "Oh, god. She's taking him back to before he was a werewolf." I opened my eyes to see the three packmates eyeing me with question. "A werewolf can't steal a True Alpha's power."

"But maybe a Nagual jaguar, with the power of Tezcatlipoca behind her... Maybe she can," Peter finished for me with a sigh of indifference. I exhaled nervously, rubbing my lips as Stiles rubbed the back of his head. "So, if everyone is sufficiently freaked out, I say we get going."

"We can't," Stiles said. "Not without Lydia. She's at the school getting Kira's jacket from her locker." Stiles walked a few feet over to call Lydia, pacing as he did so. I sat on the hood of the jeep, resting my elbows on my knees as I chewed on my fingernail with restlessness.

Liam stayed close to me, leaning against the front bumper as he stuck his hands in his pocket. His arm was against my leg, giving us both comfort. Braeden and Derek both paced like Stiles, except theirs was more with impatience.

Stiles came back, revealing that Lydia hadn't answered.

"If she has a car, she can catch up to us," Braeden shrugged.

Peter pointed at her like a child proving his point. "That's a good point. We'll call her from the road."

"No, what if something happened? What if she's in trouble?" Stiles replied.

"Fine, you stay, you find her," Peter grumbled. "We're gunna go on without you."

"I could call Mason. He has a study group at school. He can look for her," Liam offered, and I smiled to myself. He was really sweet when he wanted to be. Stiles sighed unhappily, but agreed, and everyone spread out to leave. Liam stayed for a second, allowing me to use his shoulder to get down from the jeep.

I followed Liam to the van while Stiles pulled Malia to the side.

"Remember what we're dealing with here," Peter said, shrugging on his jacket. Malia walked over to him, and, surprisingly, Stiles walked over to stand next to me. "It's not just Kate. It's Berserkers." I glanced at Liam to see if there was any fear coming from him. "You might see human eyes behind those skulls. Do not assume that there is any humanity left." Liam looked away, some fear finally showing itself. Peter smiled at the action. "Ah, this little one is terrified of them, aren't you?" I scowled at Peter as Liam looked at me. "Don't worry, my friend. It is that fear that will keep you alive. A reminder to everyone. You do not fight Berserkers to survive, you fight to kill." With that dramatic line, Peter hopped into his car.

I rolled my eyes and put an arm around Liam. "Ignore him. He's one for theatrics." Derek got in the back first, followed by Liam, then me, then Stiles. Braeden closed the doors on us, locking them, and I sighed. This was it. We were actually doing this.