Battlefield Part 2

After dinner, Stiles and I were in my room again. My parents probably would've said no to him staying tonight if I hadn't just reanimated. I was showered, full and feeling livelier, though very tired.

I laid in my bed in the dark, Stiles on the bed next to me. We were used to sharing a bed since we'd done it since before we could talk. He was on his back, one hand behind his head, and I was curled up on my side, facing him.

His eyes were open, and they remained open for an hour.

"Can't sleep without your pillow?" I asked, mumbling with sleep.

"Just thinking."

"What about?"

"Matt drowned in a lake that night at the station."

"Matt's dead?!" I asked, shocked.

"The lake was three feet deep. No way he drowned on his own. I think someone killed him," Stiles thought aloud, the fingers on one hand drawing circles on his chest.

"What happens to Jackson?"

"I don't know..." We were both quiet for a while. I had just about drifted off to sleep when he spoke again. "You know when you're drowning, you don't actually inhale until right before you black out. It's called voluntary apnea. It's like no matter how much you're freaking out, the instinct to not let any water in is so strong that you won't open your mouth until you feel like your head's exploding. But when you finally do let it in, that's when it stops hurting. It's not scary anymore. It's actually kind of peaceful."

I listened quietly, watching his lips move and his face remain expressionless. "Are you saying you hope Matt was at peace before he died?" I asked. That would be confusing considering he hated Matt. Or maybe that's what this was about. Maybe he felt guilty for hating Matt.

Stiles sighed through his nose, his hand not drawing circles anymore. "I don't feel sorry for him. Just because a bunch of dumbasses dragged him into a pool when he couldn't swim doesn't really give him the right to go off killing them one by one." Stiles turned his head to look at me through the dimness. "And by the way, my dad told me that they found a bunch of pictures of Allison on Matt's computer."

"Did she know about them?"

"No, she didn't. They weren't just of her, though. I mean, he photoshopped himself into these pictures. Stuff like them holding hands and kissing. You know, like he had built this whole fake relationship."

"Ew," I said, my nose turning up in disgust. Stiles nodded then shifted so he was looking up again.

"So, yeah. Maybe drowning when he was nine years old was what set him off the rails, but the dude was definitely riding the crazy train," Stiles grumbled.

"What else happened?" I asked. Stiles half smiled at the ceiling, back to rubbing circles on his shirt.

"My dad got his job back as Sheriff."

"That's awesome!" I said excitedly. Well, as excitedly as I could for having felt like I hadn't slept in four days.

"Yeah," Stiles breathed, but it was high in pitch like there was a 'but'. "Yeah, but I still feel like there's something wrong between us. I don't know. It's just like tension when we talk. Same thing with Scott."

"You didn't stop talking to him again, did you?" I said, almost jokingly. My small smile dropped when Stiles didn't answer. "You have talked to him since that night, haven't you?"

"No, not really," Stiles sighed. "I mean, he's got his own problems, though. Scott accidentally shifted in front of his mom and now she won't talk to him. I don't even think she's come out of her room since then."