Parasomnia Part 1

"So you ran a background check?" Malia asked Stiles as the three of us walked up the steps to the school. I happened to run into them on the way, and Stiles was already talking about having gone to see his dad this morning. I didn't realize how tall Malia was until now as I looked up at her. Had she always been this tall?

"And all you found was a speeding ticket?" I asked. "What's so suspicious about that?"

Stiles frowned at me and replied, "A speeding ticket signed by Theo's dad eight years ago!"

"Which means what?" Malia urged. We were going to need a little more information than that if he wanted us to understand. Stiles stopped walking, turning around so he was facing both of us with an exasperated sigh. His arms were lifted in a shrug.

"Who speeds?" Malia and I side-ways glanced at each other, checking to make sure we still were lost together. Stiles sighed again. "People trying to get away from something."

My brows pinched and my lips pursed at him. That was a very bad answer that explained nothing.

Malia said it before I could mention it. "Well, how many tickets do you have?"

"None."

I snorted and rolled my eyes, earning a narrow-eyed glance from Stiles. "Only because your dad has gotten you out of all seventeen of them."

"Yeah, well, he's gotten you out of a few, too!"

"I don't even have a car, Stiles," I laughed. His frown deepened, and it seemed like he was saying, 'Yeah, whatever' in his head. Malia and I were quiet as we stared at him, daring him to come up with a better explanation, and his mouth flopped for a second as he thought. Finally, his squinted eyes found the ground as he hung his head and licked his lips.

"I don't know, Stiles," Malia sighed. "I mean, I see why you're worried. He's really hot. He's got like great hair, perfect body." Stiles stared at her. "You should definitely feel threatened."

"Thank you. Because I do. Now more than ever," Stiles muttered, his eyes flicking towards me.

"You want me to torture him?"

"Woah, hey, maybe... Maybe let's not do the torture thing," I interjected, and Malia nodded like her request and my denial had both been legitimate.

"I have a plan. There are steps to doing this right," Stiles said to us in a hushed whisper, stepping closer.

"What steps?" I asked.

"We get the story. Verify the facts. You find the piece that doesn't fit and catch him in the act. That's how you do it." Before I could ask what 'act' he was referring to, his face dropped as he rolled his eyes over my shoulder. I turned around to see Theo getting out of a grey van. I couldn't see who was driving the van because he shut the door so quickly, but the person drove off fast.

Theo had his backpack slung over one shoulder, and his blue eyes found us. For a second, all he did was stare, but then his lips pulled into a wide smile and he waved. I didn't change my curious expression, nor did I bother to wave back.

"Huh... He really does have great hair and a perfect body," I muttered, eying him over before turning back to face Stiles. The look Stiles was giving me was not happy at all.

"Seriously, Y/N? Do you always go for the bad guys?" I knew what Stiles meant even though he didn't outright say it. What he meant was when I wasn't with him.

"First of all, I'm not going for him. Second, I do not always go for the bad guy. I dated Isaac."

"Well, that's a matter of opinion."