Parasomnia Part 2

Scott, Kira, Malia, and I all sat at our normal table in the library, not talking. We were doing homework and studying and whatever else we were supposed to be doing. Malia had upgraded from using a red highlighter to using yellow, and I smiled at the sight. Scott was rereading his AP Biology textbook (I know, shocked even me) for his class, dedicated to passing the test tomorrow with flying colors, and Kira was filing in some survey she had gotten. My eyes scanned through the AP English homework I was assigned today, but I was desperately hoping for a distraction to come along.

Like a granted wish, Stiles ran up to the table slightly out of breath, and he slapped two pieces of paper down in front of us, turning them so they were facing us. He rubbed his mouth in the way that told me he'd found the proof, so I eagerly leaned forward to see the papers.

"You found something?" Scott asked.

"Another signature," Stiles said. I glanced between the two signatures on the papers and frowned. Both were Jonathan Raeken, but they were different. It wasn't terribly different, but it was clear to me they weren't written by the same person.

Stiles pointed to the first paper. "This is Theo's dad's signature on a speeding ticket from eight years ago. Now this one-," He gestured to the other. "This is his dad's signature on a transfer form to Beacon Hills High School from just a few days ago." I blinked at the papers, weeding out every difference between the writings. I had always had a gift for handwriting analysis, and this looked like a copycat. Someone had clearly worked hard to recreate the signature, but it wasn't enough.

"How did you get his transfer form?" Kira asked.

"Did you break into the Administration Office?" Scott warned.

Stiles did his best to keep calm about the fact that they were asking the wrong questions. "No, I did not break into the Administration Office." I rose my eyebrows at him in a way that told him exactly what I thought about his answer. "Okay, I might've broken into the Administration Office. Can we just focus on the signatures, please?! They're different."

"They're sort of different," Malia answered, all of us taking another look. Kira sighed in agreement.

"They're completely different! Come on, look!" Stiles pointed to another area on the signature that I had already spotted. I kept my lips firmly closed, my brows pinched, and my thoughts inside as I glanced at it again. "Right, Y/N? I'm right, right?" My eyes flicked to him, then to the others. They were all looking at me in question. Great.

I sighed inwardly, blinking down at the names again. Nobody aside from Stiles knew about my gift for handwriting, so anything I said would probably be written off anyway. So I inhaled and began, using both hands to point to the specific spots. "The garlands don't match here. Here, the undulations of the sinuous stroke are completely off. And here, that's a perfect example of the Criminal Tremor. There's a hesitation mark where the pen scraped the page."

I looked up to see Malia's face pinched in confusion as she stared at me. In fact, they all seemed to look like that. The only one who didn't was Stiles, and I was pretty sure that was only because I was taking his side.

"So..." Kira started. "Theo is Theo, but his parents aren't his parents?"

I shrugged. "Well... I don't know."

"But someone's not someone," Stiles added.

"Possibly. Unless Theo signed it himself, then that would make sense why it looks kind of different."

"Not helping."

I pursed my lips at Stiles. "Then get more evidence."

Stiles frowned at me. "When I find out who that someone is, someone's in big trouble." His eyes winced when he realized how stupid that sounded.

Scott, now reclined lazily in his chair, said, "But no one's done anything wrong."

"Yet," I added. There was always that possibility.

"If Theo's parents are both psychotic killers, then obviously, we should not trust him, right?" Stiles said. Even I knew that was taking it a bit far, and nobody sitting around me would be inclined to believe that.

"My parents are Peter and the Desert Wolf," Malia frowned. I hid my snort by chewing on my thumbnail, but it didn't go unnoticed by Stiles. He sighed heavily and rubbed his forehead.

He suddenly (and dramatically) began gathering his two papers, rustling them so it seemed like more. "Okay, you know what? It's fine. I'll figure it out myself. Right? I don't need you or you or you. Or you." He pointed to me last, and I sighed as he turned around, shouting over his shoulder. "I don't need anyone!"

I watched him walk all the way out, my mind still whirring even though the others seemed to have already gone back to their work. Then I saw Liam follow him out. What was that kid up to? I quickly gathered my things, shoving them into my backpack.

"I'll see you guys later," I mumbled half-heartedly. They mumbled their half-hearted goodbyes as I left. I ran out to the parking lot, following both Liam's and Stiles' scent until I was walking up towards the back of his Jeep. I heard Liam ask what a Criminal Tremor was (that snoop) and Stiles say it didn't matter. He put the jeep into reverse, apparently not seeing me behind him.

I waited with my hands on my hips. When he looked back in the mirror and saw me, he stomped on the brakes, his tires squealing in distress. I ran up the passenger side where Liam was sitting, talking through the window.

Stiles panted, "Jesus, Y/N, are you insane? I could have killed you." I paused for a second, then decided not to dignify that with a response.

"I'll help you. If this guy is after Scott, we have to know it before something happens," I said. Stiles licked his lips, watching me for a second before he nodded. "You, in the back." I gestured for Liam to move, opening the door.

He threw his arms down like a kid and whined, "Why do I have to sit in the back? I'm always in the back." I couldn't help but smile at him.

"Because I have seniority, you little twerp, so move it," I laughed, pushing him gently. He groaned but moved to the backseat. I climbed in and closed the door, Stiles watching me with squinted eyes the whole time. "Are we gunna go or what?" He blinked, and I had the sneaking feeling that he knew something I didn't, and I hated that feeling.

Before I could read too much into it, Stiles looked away from me and ripped out of the parking lot to disprove Theo.