S3b Anchor Part 1

I pulled the covers closer around my shivering body as Stiles moaned next to me. I was just about to roll closer to him when he shot up, screaming at the top of his lungs. I screamed in surprise, tasting the sheer panic engulfing his senses.

"Stiles!" I yelled, pulling his back to my chest. He screamed and gasped like he had no clue where he was, and Sheriff ran in, sitting on the edge of the bed, both of us talking soothingly at the same time. He was thrashing so hard it was difficult to hold onto him, but I only held tighter, hoping the pressure would calm him.

Stiles' screams turned to sobs as he stopped fighting, and he clung onto me like a vice while Sheriff kept a comforting hand on his arm.

"You're okay, Stiles. You're just fine," I hummed into his ear while he gripped my arm. Slowly, he fell back to sleep as if nothing happened. I blinked to Sheriff, shaking my head slightly and trying to fight off my own tears. "This is the third time in two weeks."

"I know," he sighed, staring at Stiles with sadness. He had no idea what was happening, and neither did I.

"I don't know how to help or what to do."

"You're doing enough," Sheriff comforted before going back to his room. I laid back, lying awake for another half hour just to listen to Stiles breathe peacefully while he held onto me. Eventually, I let sleep come for me, too.

We woke up in the same position, my hand splayed over Stiles' heart protectively. He stirred slightly, notifying me that he was waking.

"It happened again, didn't it?" he said as he sat up. He sat on the edge of the bed, holding his head in his hands. I moved to sit behind him, wrapping my arms around his waist as I rested my chin on his shoulder.

"I'm worried about you," I admitted. "I haven't seen you like this since-."

"I know. Since Mom died." Stiles leaned up so he could lay his hands over mine while he turned his head to look at me. "I'm alright."

"Okay... Will you tell me if you're not?" I asked. He nodded, but I didn't believe him. I kissed him tenderly, his lips meshing to mine with perfection. "Come on. We'll be late."

After both of us were dressed, Stiles shoved his books in his bag. I stilled once I noticed him staring at the front cover of one of his books in horror.

"Stiles?" I said. His eyes snapped up to mine, almost guiltily. Then he looked back down at his book, and relief filled his features.

"Yeah. Yeah, everything's fine."

"You ready then?"

He dropped the book and lifted his bag with a nod. I didn't move, staring at him with a feeling in my gut that something wasn't right. Maybe I should've listened, but, obviously, that wasn't what I did.

"Seriously. Everything's fine. I'm good," he said, scratching the back of his neck.

"Maybe we should stay home today," I said, and he walked over to me, grabbing my hands.

"No. We're not staying home. I'm okay, I promise," he said earnestly. I gazed into his eyes, trying to find any sliver of doubt, then nodded. Everything would be just fine.

-------------------------

As Stiles and I walked to the steps of the school, Scott ran down them, looking back at his shadow like he was sacred of it. It almost looked like he was trying to outrun it.

Stiles grabbed Scott as he ran into us. "Hey. Hey, you alright?" Stiles asked when Scott looked at him with fearful eyes. Scott stepped back and nodded, his breathing calming.