Wolf Moon Part 3

We were back in the woods, following Scott to try and find his inhaler that he dropped before he'd been bitten. I crossed a stream, trying to avoid stepping in any water or mud by walking on branches. A normal human would've had to hold their arms out to stay balanced on a branch that small, but my cat-like reflexes made me far more delicate in the way I walked.

"How did you do that? In the net?" Stiles asked from behind me.

"I don't know what it was. It was like I had all the time in the world to catch the ball," Scott replied.

"I know that feeling," I muttered.

"And that's not the only weird thing." We ducked under a fallen log. "I can hear stuff I shouldn't be able to hear. Like on the field. I heard you talk to me." Scott looked at me, and I licked my lips, trying to be coy.

"Coincidence."

"No, it wasn't. You repeated my exact words to me. You heard me, and I heard you. It's weird."

Stiles narrowed his eyes at me, and I gulped. "I-I'm an excellent lip-reader."

"That still doesn't explain how I heard you. I can smell things, too."

"Smell things? Like what?" Stiles asked.

Sniffing, Scott said, "I smell... I don't know. Some kind of animal." He looked at me and I stiffened, at a loss for words. Just as I was about to admit everything, Stiles saved me.

Stiles laughed, "Yeah, well, we're in the words. Of course you smell an animal."

Scott paused to think as we continued walking. Stiles laughed at the ground and I tried to steady my racing heart.

"Like the mint mojito gum in your pocket."

Stiles rolled his eyes and felt around in his pockets. "I don't even have any mint mojito-." He paused when his hand was in his left-hand jacket pocket. Scott and I stared at him expectantly. I knew it was in there, too. My sense of smell wasn't nearly as good as a werewolf's, but it was definitely better than the average human's.

Stiles frowned and pulled out a halfway unwrapped piece of light green gum. He looked up at Scott surprised, and Scott shrugged smugly and began to walk again. Stiles put it back in his pocket and caught up with us.

"So, all this started with a bite," Stiles said. I squinted at him, knowing something was on his mind.

"Well, what if it's like an infection? Like my body's flooding with adrenaline before I go into shock or something?" Scott pondered.

"That's not it," I replied, hoping that the confidence in my voice would trick them into not asking me why.

"You know what? I actually think I've heard of this. It's a specific kind of infection," Stiles said seriously. Scott stopped instantly and looked at him.

"Are you serious?"

Stiles put his hands on his hips, and he looked like he was about to give bad news. "Yeah. I think it's called Lycanthropy."

"What?! No! No, it's not!" I blurted causing Stiles to give me a weird look.

Scott looked between the two of us, worry etched on his face. "What's that? Is that bad?"

"Oh, yeah. It's the worst. But only once a month."

"Don't do this right now," I begged, earning another look from Stiles.

"No, tell me. Why only once a month?" Scott demanded. My heart felt like it was in my throat with nerves.

"Mhm. On the night of the full moon." Stiles paused then howled quietly.