117 Part 4

I was finally (almost) alone as I ran to the school, following the faint scent and the loud sounds of Derek and Kate. I left Stiles behind, telling him I'd call, though I had no intention of it. I planned to call Scott though once I figured out where they were going.

Turns out it was the high school, for some odd reason, and Scott, Malia, and (ick) Peter were already there. Peter said Kate was looking for the Triskelion, which was inside of the family vault (what?) underneath the high school (double what?). Peter started to lead us to it when Malia stopped dead in her tracks. I tapped Scott's arm to make him stop, too.

"Did you catch a scent?" Scott asked.

"It's the same one," she replied. I sniffed the air and then my face fell as the scent of death washed over me.

"The same one as Mexico," I said.

"What are they talking about?" Peter asked as the three of us looked around, preparing for danger.

"One of them came after us in the church ruins," Scott explained.

"And one on the road," Malia added.

"They couldn't have followed us here," I mumbled, my mind racing with alternate options.

Scott looked at me like what he was about to say was something I didn't want to hear. "They could've been brought by Kate."

A low growl just like the one from Mexico made my ear prick up as I turned toward the sound. It was coming from behind us.

"Oh, I've heard that sound before," Peter sighed forebodingly. "Did it have an animal skull? A human wearing a skull over its face?"

"I think so," Malia replied.

"What are they?" Scott pressed.

Peter paused for dramatic effect, looking towards the sound. "Berserkers." I looked over at the sound of heavy footsteps to see a wide, large man covered in animal pelts and bones standing under the overpass.

He walked into the light and I could see clearly the amount of bones covering him. He had a full ribcage over his and claws like mine, except they weren't actually his. He had shoulder pads made of sharpened bone and he looked pretty deadly to me.

Malia and I seemed to glance over at each other thinking the exact same thing. Let's kick its ass. A low growl started in her throat while a hiss rose in mine. My claws slid out and as I was about to run at the berserker, Peter grabbed both of our arms, holding us back from it.

"Are you two crazy?" Peter mumbled, sounding surprisingly scared.

"There's just one of them," Malia said, still staring down the berserker.

"That means we can take it," I hissed, jerking at my arm.

"No. That means we have a chance," Peter replied, not letting us go.

"To beat him?"

"To survive." Peter's un-Peter-like response made me stop trying to get away from him and look at him with confusion. He immediately turned and started to run, leaving the three of us behind. We all shared an almost scared look before staring at the berserker. It took one step towards us, and we instantly ran after Peter.

The sound of bones clattering against one another like a cannibalistic hick farm filled my head as the berserker followed close behind us. You'd think that with so much bulk on it, it might be slower, but it kept up with us easily.

Malia thrust her arms out and I skidded to a stop, trying not to run into her arms. Before us stood another berserker. It looked exactly the same as the other one. Malia and Scott stared at it as it took one step forward, wiggling its claws like it couldn't wait to yank out our intestines and use them to wrap his Christmas presents.