Fury Part 1

All three of us were in Stiles' room with Sheriff. Who wasn't actually the sheriff anymore. But it just felt wrong calling him Noah. Stiles had circled Matt's face in the yearbook in red sharpie, and we were now trying to explain it to Sheriff as best we could without actually explaining it. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

"So this kid's the real killer?" Sheriff asked, though his voice sounded like he didn't quite believe us.

"Yeah," Stiles said, rubbing his chin as he leaned back in his desk chair. Scott and I were standing to his left, Sheriff to his right.

"No," Sheriff said.

"Yes!" Stiles affirmed. Sheriff stood up straight and crossed his arms.

"No."

"Dad, come on," Stiles grumbled, standing up as well. "Everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all you have to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

"Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter, Kara, wasn't in Harris' class," Sheriff replied.

Stiles rolled his eyes. "Oh, okay, you're right, sorry. Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?"

Sheriff ground his teeth, pointing at Stiles with narrowed eyes. "No. You know what? They're not dropping the charges." Stiles looked over his shoulder at us like that meant he'd won. I blushed when I realized Scott was watching me with knowing eyes. "But that doesn't prove anything."

"Wh-?!" Stiles started, then closed his mouth clenching his fists to keep from blurting.

"Scott, Y/N, do you guys believe this?" Sheriff asked. Stiles waved his hand like he was annoyed that Sheriff would even ask us.

"That's really hard to explain how we know this," Scott said.

"You just gotta trust us. We know it's Matt," I added seriously.

Stiles nodded frantically. "Yeah, he took Harris' car, okay? Look, he knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murder scenes, and that if enough of the victims were in Harris' class, they'd arrest him." Stiles was dang good at reasoning. I tried to keep my impressed face hidden.

Sheriff looked like he was beginning to get reeled in, too. "Alright, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?"

"Isn't it obvious?!" Stiles cried, his arms outstretched in a wide shrug. I stared at him, waiting for him to come up with an incredible motive that even Sheriff would believe. Because all that was coming to my mind was 'They murdered Matt', which wasn't going to cut it.

Sheriff shook his head slightly, waiting for an answer.

"Our swim team sucks! They haven't won in like six years," Stiles said. I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose, the other hand on my hip. Stiles looked back at me and groaned. "Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

Sheriff stared down at the open yearbook, then nodded. "What do you want me to do?"

Stiles exhaled through pursed lips in relief that we'd won as he looked back at me and Scott.

"We need to look at the evidence," Scott said.

"Yeah, that would be in the station. Where I no longer work."

"Trust me, they'll let you in," Stiles reasoned.

"Trust you?" Sheriff said sternly.

Stiles jerked his thumb over his shoulder. "Trust... Trust them?"